limelight hydrangea "tree"

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by scoulthard, May 29, 2009.

1. scoulthard

scoulthard New Seed

Hello all,
    I purchased a gorgeous limelight hydrangea last summer, the tag said it was a tree (I'm not sure if there is such a thing or if its a bush just trimmed up in a tree-like form), I have planted in a semi-shady area of my back yard. It looks really healthy and is growing but there is no sign of any blooms. does anyone know when these bloom?

I didn't really prune it much, just a little bit this spring, and I have heard since that if you don't prune hydrangeas they may not bloom. I'm hoping this is not true.

Shannon

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

As far as I know they won't bloom until mid-summer. Here they bloom later than that, because our spring's late. Hope this helps.

4. scoulthard

scoulthard New Seed

thanks! I'm in Southern Virginia, US-zone 7b it's already hit 90 here a couple of times this month. We have virtually no spring, it goes from winter (pretty mild) to summer! I will keep my fingers crossed for blooms! It's a really gorgeous tree.

5. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

I'll let you know as I have planted two Limelights for the first time this year. :-D

I have seen it before quite large (6 to 7 feet tall) but I wouldn't call it a tree. In general a lot of people refer to any Hydrangea paniculata as a Hydrangea Tree.

Advertisement
  6. Penny

Penny Young Pine

I have a hydrangea tree, its called Pinky Winky, I've had it for 3 years, it around 6 feet high and around mid August, it blooms, and the color is a pinky rust color and lasts all Fall....very pretty.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hope it blooms for you this year. Do post piccies when it does won't you?
    Remember not to prune it as hydrangeas really don't like being cut back. Just remove the flower heads once they've died back and it should give you pleasure for many years to come. :stew2:

8. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

i would love to see the pics too when it blooms. and it will! :stew1:

9. LeahDawn

LeahDawn New Seed

I just bought my Limelight Hydrangea Tree & it has started to form the flowers, but not to bloom. The tag I got with it indicated lime colored flowers in summer, turning blush and then white through fall. The garden center said it would bloom earlier next year once it's all set. Good Luck! Here's hoping both of ours bloom!

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
  11. flowerpower77

flowerpower77 New Seed

limelight hydrangea tree

I planted a limelight single stem(standard) hydrangea tree in May of this year. It began forming flowers in early June and was in full bloom by the 2nd week in July. It is about 5 feet tall right now and I believe it will reach up to 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide at maturity. It's an ornamental tree in my front yard. It really is eye catching and I have received many compliments on how good it looks. The flowers or panicles which are cone shaped pointing up and are about 8 inches long will last till it freezes. They start out a greenish white then turn to almost all white where they are now. From here they will turn to a pinkish white/beige color in Fall until it freezes(around the end of September) in southern MN. The best thing besides the look of this tree is the length of the bloom. It stays till frost and for me that is a good 3 months. Very few trees can do that this far North. It attracts butterflies all day long. I can't wait till it reaches maximum height. By then it will have several hundred flowers on it all blooming at one time. Gorgeous.

12. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

Gee...after reading all these posts about how nice the Limelight Hydragea tree is, I want one!

Hmmm...*I'm thinking*...now where do I put it?

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

It sounds wonderful.

14. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I found this site with lots of info on them: http://www.colorchoiceplants.com/limelight.htm and it sounds like a great plant. I have a PG Hydrangea, Tree-form, and it's beautiful. They're slow growing, so when it does sucker, it's easy to prune to keep it from converting back to a shrub. You'll have to post some pictures when it finally blooms!!!

15. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

That sounds like an incredible tree. So glad you shared it with us. Looking forward to seeing photos.

16. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Nice thing about all the H. paniculata and there are a few, is that they flower on new wood so unlike the H. macrophylla they do not lose their flowers in a cold spring or hard winter. We prune ours right down to a few inches every February as a space saving thing and they flower nicely around now. Try also if you can get one H. grandiflora especially in the form called Annabelle, that has huge white ball shaped flowers from now on.