Little green worm making lace out of my Clary Sage leaves

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by toni, Sep 6, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Suddenly the leaves are looking much like some lace I made many years ago and I found at least one green caterpillar on the underside of one leaf. If is it to become some gloriously beautiful and beneficial butterfly or moth then it can much away.....but if not then I will start plucking them off and sending them on to their next live. I can probably get a photo if needed but it's just a solid green worm, looks kind of like a melting gummy worm.

2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Do a search for "Salvia butterfly host plant" and see if you find a caterpillar that matches yours.

4. toni

First thing I did was all sorts of searches but I apparently was too specific, I searched for Clary Sage instead of the Genus Salvia. I found the critter late last night and forgot to post here. It's the Cabbage Looper, should have known since the garden is always full of White Cabbage Butterflies in the summer. But I have had that plant for 3 years and this is the first time they found it. Aargggg, I don't grow cabbage but I like my Sage.....but I like the pretty butterflies....but I like my sage. o_O

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    purpleinopp likes this.
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni you have a bit of a dilemma on your hands. This past spring I had a really BIG and I mean BIG problem with Earwigs eating my Columbine to the ground.:mad: Little beasts. So I got out the DA and gave the plants and ground a good covering. Actually looked like a made cake baker had gotten loose with the flour. But that got rid of those crummy critters. Those cabbage worms usually attack our Holly Hocks and make the leave look like a lace curtain. Crummy critters.

Advertisement
  6. toni

I hosed the plant off, got the eggs too and now the plant is growing and has more leaves without holes than with holes.

Tooty2shoes and Frank like this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm glad you got rid of the little leaf munchers and your sage is looking better. Some were on my May Night salvia but not enough to really disfigure them so I left them alone.