Local garden tour yesterday!

Discussion in 'Garden Visits and Flower Shows' started by Netty, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I spent yesterday on a local botanical garden tour. We have had such a hot, dry summer and I was feeling very dismal about my garden, and so I thought I would go and see how other gardeners were dealing with the drought conditions. The tour had 9 stops throughout the township, most of them rural. I had camera in hand and took lots of pictures at the beginning, but as the day went on I was so busy admiring gardens that I forgot to take pictures! I have visited the first garden before, and they were featured in an issue of Canadian Gardening Magazine 2 years ago. It is truly amazing, and didn't appear to be suffering from the dry conditions at all. The Lady of the house gave me a personal tour of the gardens, many of which were on either side of a beautiful stone path.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This garden was a hard act of follow!
    The other gardeners spoke of the same complaints I have ... drought conditions killing off many of their annual flowers and endless watering or not being able to water due to being on a well. They all had mulch covered beds, some with bark or woodchips, and some with leaves. Sadly, I took less photos later in the day and I wish I had taken more. The last garden was another favorite and I didn't take a single photo :( Here are a few select photos from the other gardens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It was a great day! I spoke with many people that shared the love of gardening, compared notes and even learned a few new tricks!

Tooty2shoes, Sjoerd, Frank and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gorgeous gardens!!! Really makes me jealous, my garden looked good in April and May but always goes downhill through the hot summer months.

Tooty2shoes and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Absolutely beautiful gardens. I wish I could have been there to tour them with you Netty.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Beautiful pictures Netty,..i bet you enjoyed yourself and as you mentioned picked up a few tips as well,..i enjoyed looking at those pictures and gardens,..thank you for sharing.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Beautiful gardens! ;) :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Lovely gardens. I love to go on garden tours. It gives me so many ideas.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

a lot of people in our area, hire a company to come and weed and clean up their flower beds....I guess you would consider them rich. Big gardens that they don't do much of the work.....

The gardens were lovely Netty...what a nice way to spend the day. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sherry, Not fair....they are not playing fair at all....My friends hire a landscaper to plant their whole property. They pay for it. Then they get on the garden tour... Just doesn't seem fair.. We have done all my own work ourselves. It has only our ideas or a derivative of something we have seen in the past and applied to our gardens and likes..

They even have someone come in and weed...REALLY NOT FAIR... LOL

Philip Nulty and Netty like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Magnificent foto's and commentary, Netty.
    I know exactly how it is when visiting gardens--you just get all focused on what's there and simply forget to take foto's.
    I did quite enjoy seeing what you had to show though.
    Cheers.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was the first one in our area to have a large garden in the front yard and everyone followed. Some paid but some did put their own in like we did. It was hard work but it makes you feel better when it is something you did on your own. At least that is how I feel about it. But if an illness or health concern keeps you from doing it yourself, then I think it is fine....

Philip Nulty and waretrop like this.
  12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Netty those are some beautiful gardens. Like Toni by the end of July my flower beds are looking really ragged and quite uninteresting.