Look what I found in the garden this morning

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by toni, Oct 27, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Last spring I bought one of those bagged grape vine plants at Lowes when they were on sale 50% off. I thought that maybe over the years it might produce some grapes that the birds would enjoy.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I saw two brown 'things' on the plant and realized they were Caterpillars.

[​IMG]
    Caterpillar for Achemon Sphinx, Eumorpha achemon ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    2nd Caterpillar for the Achemon Sphinx, Eumorpha achemon ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

They are almost 3 inches long and really pretty in person. They pupate in burrows underground, since the plant is in a pot I guess they will burrow down there.

This is what they will eventually become.

2. Loading...

3. kate

kate In Flower

Worrying, and weird Toni,

:D

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

What a pretty moth toni I wish I had some of those here.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a great surprise Toni. :-D I just hope that the birds don't see them as a snack. I really hope they survive to become those beautiful moths.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Wow that is one UGLY caterpillar! I'm guessing its transformation will be more aesthetically pleasing :)

7. toni

They are both out there just munching away at the grape vine, I swear it looks like they have grown since I found them this morning ;)

I was doing some searching to find out which Spinx Moth they would become and realized that the information on the Butterflies and Moths of North America website does not have my county listed in the Documented Records section so I made thumbnails of two of the photos and submitted them to the coordinator for Texas. Then I remembered photos I took of the caterpillar for the Gaudy sphinx Eumorpha labruscae that I took in 2007, so I got them ready and sent them to the coordinator too. The other Sphinx caterpillar http://www.gardenstew.com/about8279.html

It might be a while before I hear back from her since they are volunteers and probably swamped with photos. But it would be fun to have my photos on their website.

And now I need to find plants that the moths like to feed from and have them in the garden next year.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Wow, I wasn't going to say anything but since Frank did... they're ... um... different looking than any I've seen here, but the moths they will become are very lovely. Regardless, what a great surprise, Toni. I'd have been really excited to find them.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What an interesting find, Toni. Is it normal for them to eat grape leaves?
    You will have to keep yopur eyes open for them in the spring. Perhaps you can get some fotos of them emerging.

10. toni

The caterpillars I found this morning and the one a couple of years ago, even tho they result in different Moths, both eat Grape Vines, Virginia Creeper and other vines and ivies.

The moths from today's finds will hang around for the nectar of Japanese Honeysuckle, Petunia, (Philadelphus coronarius) Mock Orange and Phlox. I have a couple of the honeysuckle, lots of Petunias every year and have planted some Phlox that should be available for them next year.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Wow, they're the coolest caterpillars! :D I'm so envious of you. And lucky caterpillars to have ended up in a yard where they're welcome.

12. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Wow, thats kind of cool.

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Since my yard is full of grape vines, honeysuckle and virginia creeper, I wonder why I have never seen these guys here? Do you think they are more native to TX or climates with longer hot seasons?

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

great photos of not so cute subjects!
    :-D

15. toni

I think these caterpillars are fascinating. The first one I saw two years ago had me really wondering what the heck was in my yard, my youngest daughter didn't want our dog Rambo out there for fear the thing would attack him. She settled down once we found out what it was.
    They remind me of the worm in the movie Dune.

Daisybeans, according to the http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/spec ... en_state=* they have only been reported in the central plains and the far southwest and smattering of other parts of the States but they are far from widespread. In fact in Texas, there have been only 5 small areas of sightings but no reportings in the county where I live so I sent off the photos to a local coordinator for the Butterflies and Moths of North America website to have it verified and included.
    AND when looking at their map of documented sightings I was going to check out Maryland and they have left Maryland off the list of states, so I contacted them about that too.

16. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Those are so fascinating toni...I think they are so neat..thank you for sharing them.