Looking for cucumber salad recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by newgrow, May 21, 2010.

1. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

I am looking for one that is for 2 people. Simple yet tasteful. I only have 2 cucumbers... and other things just saying as far as they go I only have 2. Thanks

2. Loading...

3. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Hi Newgrow, something very very simple we make over here that is just 2 ingredients is cucumbers with onion. There is a dressing of sorts that they soak in, and that too is super simple. Brown vinegar, sugar, water and dill. The water mixture is made to taste, so experiment with it until you like the taste. It is supposed to be on the tart side tho. At least we like it like that.

Another one that is popular here is boiled potatoes, let cool, diced cucumbers, chopped onion, and sour creme. I like to use creme freshe sometimes instead. Salt and pepper to taste and add dill. Also you can add cooked bacon, chopped up to this. I do not know if you have a product over there called Kasam, but it is a cheese yogurt like creme. Almost like sour creme. If you have that available, it really goes great with this instead of the sour creme or creme freshe.

Both recipes let marinate in the frig about an hour before eating. Enjoy! I hope you like them.

4. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

They both sound absolutely great. Though I am really leaning toward the one with potatoes sounds to good to not try. I'll let you know this weekend. Thanks

Do you eat it cooled even with bacon? Thinking if warmed it may compromise the cucumbers texture.

5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

They are both served cold. I hope you enjoy them, also we serve both with alot of different fish dishes. The first one goes great with fish because the water mixture works as a au juis for it. The second one i guess could be served with any kind of meat. Well i hope you like them,,,Enjoy!

Advertisement
  6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great minds biita! i thought i was the only one who added cukes and chopped onion to my potatoes!!! :D

newgro, i use a similar recipe for dressing that biita uses, only we use Balsamic Vinegar.

7. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

Well biita- I must say your second one was the first one I tried and was very good. Even my wife (not a cucumber eater) Even liked it. Only the cucumber,dill and onion came from garden, I'm not a potato grower. Next will be the other...can't wait!

Thanks Again!!

8. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I make a salad that has red onion and equal amounts of balsamic and italian dressing and everyone has raved about it.

9. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Cucumber spread

I make benidictine spread with mine,It is very exspensive to buy, But Not as much to make, All it is , Is a cucumber A package o creme cheese and dried onions, and a drop of steak sauce and a drop of green coloring.

10. Annette

Annette Seedling

i know this is an older post...but i make a cucumber salad like this....slice cucumber into thin slices, add some thin slices of onion (i like red onion)...add a dash of salt, pepper, a splash of vinegar, tsp of sugar, and a couple of heaping spoons of sour cream, or mayonaise, or a combination of both....do this an hour or two before serving. if i have left over....i'll put it on a sandwich instead of mayo.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Annette....I make one pretty close to what you have...I really enjoy it .