Looking for tips for next spring!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Leah Sattler, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Leah Sattler

Leah Sattler New Seed

I'm trying to start a vegetable garden spring 2018 for the first time. What do I need to know? I live in central Minnesota, and I'm hoping to plant something along the lines of tomatoes, carrots, onions, bell peppers, or sweet potatoes. I have a circular area of 75 square feet to plant in. Where is a good place to buy seeds? Is there anything I definitely should/shouldn't plant? Any tips? Thanks so much for your help!

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Tomatoes and bell peppers are both heat lovers so might help to start seeds about six weeks before last frost. Stick with the tomatoes that are indeterminate and a short growing time !! For a good all around tomato early girl, celebrity, and homestead are good choices. Excellent flavor and medium size,, good canners or eating fresh ! California Wonder is a good bell choice ! Both sweet potatoes and carrots have a longer growing season so plant mid summer for a fall harvest. Sweet potatoes take a lot of space but the green tops are edible if you are so inclined .

Leah Sattler and Frank like this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Winter is a good time to prepare the soil for next spring unless there is too much snow and ice where you are. Now is a good time to rake up leaves and organic matter into a big pile for example and start a compost.

Leah Sattler and Frank like this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Forgot to say,, Ebay is an excellent place to find seed but since you have a shorter growing season, try to get plants locally if possible !!

Leah Sattler likes this.
  6. SamIAm

SamIAm New Seed

I live in Minneapolis. Pay attention to maturity dates. Here anything that needs heat (tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons, etc.) and is above 90 days can be dicey. Stuff that can take cooler weather you can go a little longer.

Also pay attention to soil pH. We have alkaline soils here in Mpls which most vegetables do not like. Good soil amendments like compost and peat (if you have high pH soils) are key.

Minnesota midget is a melon that I grow on trellises that ripens in august and is one thing I look forward to every year. The best paste tomato I have found for my climate/soils is Amish paste.

Good luck and have fun!