Lost to frost

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by purpleinopp, Nov 11, 2013.

1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

What's going to get zapped in its' prime this week?
    Cannas, Pentas, & a lot of foliage here. Time to take pics, anyone who hasn't had frost yet, it's coming to a lot more locations this week.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I managed to get all my tender plants into the greenhouse before the frosts hit. The garden will just have to look after itself. Fingers crossed there won't be much loss before spring.

purpleinopp likes this.
  4. purpleinopp

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I was curious what other yard plants are still going strong that will be toasted by frost this week? It will be the first of the year in this (SE) part of US. The Cannas are hardy, as well as the Brugs I forgot to mention above. Farewell until next year, pretty friends!

I took cuttings of a few things a couple weeks ago, but don't think I have enough light inside for Pentas. That's not hardy here, but worth the sacrifice to get new every year, well worth it to me, 8 months of blooms. House plants will all be in by Wed or be killed.

Crossing my fingers for you too! Sounds like there is risk involved, but not sure if you mean outside or in greenhouse?

I have a big, table planter/mini garden that just can't come inside. If there was room, I'd still have to do something about the ants I see crawling around in/on it. My plan is to somehow encase it in plastic, kind of attached to a crappy old, leaky window. That's got me mentally crossing my fingers already, I don't know how it will be done, or if it will work. What do you want to bet I'm panicking Wed & pull all of the plants out? I know in general some will be OK, but don't know which will/won't (or all of their names to ask.) Sometimes we're just winging it! The mystery adds to the fun, none of these little $2 are sentimental, but I'd save the tender ones if I know which they were... my pic is too big, will wrestle with it after lunch.

5. purpleinopp