Loveliest HIbiscus ever?!

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by oubee, Jun 5, 2012.

1. oubee

oubee In Flower

[​IMG]
    Hibiscus ( photo / image / picture from oubee's Garden )

It sure is a beautiful flower. I dunno the name though. The petals, their intricate frills and colour hues just mesmerize me! An aunty living in the vicinity has them all over her yard. I asked her for a stem a couple of times. She nodded but then sometimes you know it's a reluctant whatever-nod. So I was wondering if I cut off a stem hanging from her yard on the sly and got it to sprout in water, would it sustain and grow into another marvel? :D

stratsmom and chocolate like this.
  2. Loading...

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

WOW..., that sure is a beautiful bloom, I dont think they put out roots in water, probably have to do the cutting method in the spring.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a lovely hibiscus flower!! I'd wait until spring too before purloining cuttings from your aunts plant as you'll have more chance of them rooting for you then.

5. oubee

oubee In Flower

Thanks Choco & Eileen! It's winter here (actually we have a tropical climate, 6 months of summer and 6 months of winter). I'll just eye these beauties everyday until the time is ripe :D

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love that flower. It reminds me of the Hibiscus that the Cherokee Indians grew in the olden days in North Carolina.

Barb in Pa.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It is a beauty! If she has them growing all over here yard, does that mean it goes to seed easily and you could get some seeds and start them? that would probably be easier than trying to snag a cutting from the soft wood of the plant. You can take a cutting and dip it in rooting hormone put it in a damp sterile media of some sort, cover it with a plastic bag and them mist it daily if necessary (then keep it on a heat mat or some such surface heat that is just warm to the touch)until it gets roots, but you need the stem to be the new growth that isn't soft. Still green, but stiff not the brown woody part.

8. oubee

oubee In Flower

Gotta Google HIBISCUS GROWN BY CHEROKEES now, Waretrop. :D

@ Carolyn: By seed? Where do I get these from given she's jealousy keeping them all to herself? I had a question to ask: can I grow flowers from a brunch of bouquet beauties?

9. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Beautiful!

10. oubee

oubee In Flower

HI Chris, well, I don't lie :D

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Yup, gorgeous bloom. :D Good luck with trying to get one of your own. I understand why you want one. :stew2:

12. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

If you don't get winters like we up in north do (cold and dark and short days) you can always try to root some cuttings.
    Can you reach to the bushes?
    :)

Bouquet flowers... I'm not sure what kind. Some may root some don't.
    Depends also when they were cut.
    Any particular beauty in mind???

Over here, roses are pretty much the only cut flowers I ever attempted to root.

13. oubee

oubee In Flower

You are smart, Droopy :D

Hehe, Calin. Not really but I could use a couple of tall cousins :D Any beauty I can lay my hands on would do :D Any luck with the rooting? I heard about this product that helps rooting. Is the name 'rooter'? I must buy that one.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oubee, If the plant flowers and she doesn't cut the flowers off and they get pollinated, they will set seed naturally. wait and see if there is a rather large mass for a seed head and when they are ready to open you will notice that they start to turn pale green then on to brown then split into 3 sections. Are any of these plants close enough to the street or sidewalk where you can snag a few seed pods as you go past? OR BEFRIEND her.... ask her all about all her flowers and plants and how does she get such beautiful blooms and such nice foliage and what does she use for fertilizer and how/when does she prune/divide her plants and is she looking for anything special for here garden.... She may have a wealth of information that you can learn from and maybe she needs to garner your trust first. ;)

That rooting hormone I mentioned is called rooting hormone here. No special other name. We can buy it in several different brands, though. It is a white powder inside of a small bottle/can and it will last you a long time if you can get it. I buy mine on line or from a nursery/plant dept. of a store. I usually can find it with the fertilizers. If you don't have it available a willow tree will produce a hormone that stimulates rooting.. Get a couple willow twigs ( I don't know how much, just guess) and chop them up drop them in a liter of water and "soak" them over night to make a rooting solution. do this daily or as needed to wet the potting media.

oubee likes this.
  15. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I learn something new here once again! I already have a container of rooting hormone, but I'll have to give this method a try just to see how it compares. Now I'm curious.

16. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I was going to suggest waiting for the seed pods to form.
    My Hibiscus practically makes a seed pod from each bloom. It will take a few weeks after the bloom has fallen off.
    And each pod contains at least 20 seeds.
    And oh yeah... that IS a gorgeous bloom!! I'd be trying to get some of it growing also!