Low Carb Bread Rounds

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by toni, Dec 2, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

1 1/2 cups of Vital Wheat Gluten
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4th cup soy flour
    1 3/4 cups warm water
    1 1/2 sticks softened butter (12 T)
    1 tsp yeast
    6 eggs brought to room temperature

Mix, pour into 8 English Muffin
    http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-English-Muffin-Rings/dp/B0000CFME7

Bake at 425 (our oven runs hot so it's 375 for us) for 25 minutes

Randy has tried this recipe in a bread machine.....big mistake, hasn't tried it in a regular loaf pan though. He likes the rings best, they make a perfect size to slice in half, toast and spread with peanut butter, jelly, bacon, etc.

He doesn't grease the muffin rings, just runs a knife around the inside to release them after baking. Something about some of these ingredients makes it difficult to get the residue off the inside of the rings with or without greasing them, so I have to soak them and use a scrubber to clean them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sorry I haven't posted my results before, but it's the baking season and I've been a bit busy;). I tried the recipe in a loaf pan, and it was good, but I need to tweak it a bit. I think fewer eggs--ours are pretty big, and made the dough a bit sticky. I also set the oven at 400, which seemed to be the ideal temperature for our oven to bake the bread without burning.
    I did grease and flour the loaf pan--just in case, and the loaf came out without resistance, and had a nice browning on the sides and bottom.
    I"ll try it again after the holidays with fewer eggs and see what the consistency of the bread is.

4. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

I modified the recipe for the last two bakings. I cut it down to a single stick of butter, and increased it to 2 teaspoons of yeast. I also let it mix a while to smooth it out and make it rise better. I like this version better.

As for the eggs, I measured a few and they are all between 2.1 and 2.6 ounces. (roughly 57 and 74 grams)

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank you! I'll try your modifications and see which my husband prefers.

Advertisement
  6. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product. I've found that an extended mixing time in the stand mixer makes them rise better. The English Muffin rings are 1 inch (2.54 cm) tall.
    [​IMG]
    Bread Rounds ( photo / image / picture from Evil Roy's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Evil Roy's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mine don't look as good as yours, although they taste just fine. I'm using tuna fish cans with the top and bottom cut out, and the shorter sides may be making the difference.
    I've made a batch using your modifications, and they are better. Thank you very much!