Mailboxes

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Cayuga Morning, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I like to think of our town as being pretty upstanding. Clean cut. Good morals. Good work ethic. Clean thoughts, good living. And keeping its properties presentable.

You wouldn't know it from our mailboxes though.
    Witness: PXL_20220328_175821497.MP_compress62.jpg
    PXL_20220328_175817924.MP_compress50.jpg

I think this model is called "The Lister"

PXL_20220328_180141566.MP_compress56.jpg

This one is called "The Blocks". Or maybe "Listing Blocks".

PXL_20220328_175402401.MP_compress91.jpg PXL_20220328_175357072.MP_compress1.jpg

Here's "The Chunk". Or maybe "The Hunk". Or "Chunky Hunk", affectionately.

Do any of your towns have disreputable mailboxes? I bet so.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This is a really good thread. We do not have mailboxes like these.here. There are some, but they look different. I have never seen one set up like the ones you have shown though. I am going to be in the lookout here so that I can contribute to your collection.

Our mailboxes where we live are built into the wall, so no chance of being beauties like your ones.

Droopy, Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That's funny!
    Canada Post is very strict about rural mailboxes ... they have to be a certain height, on a certain angle, on a certain post, a certain distance off the road, and certain distance from a driveway or they will not deliver your mail. Don't ask me how I know lol

4. Cayuga Morning

We have those regulations too... But they are ignored. Unless it is really egregious. Like I'd be surprised if the family of "The Lister" gets mail.

Friends of ours once put up a new mailbox. They were very proud of this thing. (It's actually some work to properly install a mailbox that can stand up to the winter snow plows). So, we went to the Post Office & got a copy of their regulations slip, filled it out, checking off all kinds of boxes that the post was too high, too low, too far back from the street, etc. Our friends got so incensed, they were almost squeaking with indignation!

Sjoerd and Droopy like this.

Advertisement
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Just a quick question... Do naughty neighborhood kids put orange, mango, and banana peals into the mailboxes of other neighbors they do not like - Or hold a grudge against?

Just wondering if this is specific to my part of the world only? Or does it happen elsewhere too? :eek: If not, then I hope this hasn't given anyone over here some "new ideas"... :headscratch:

:snicker: :rofl::smt044

Droopy and Cayuga Morning like this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

PXL_20220325_211628583.MP_compress81.jpg PXL_20220325_211624458.MP_compress94.jpg

This model is "The Scream".
    It is actually made from welded iron or steel and stands up well to the snowplows. All except it's front door. That went the first year the mailbox was put up. It's been screaming ever since.

Can you see the post is an I beam?

Pacnorwest, Netty, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

@S-H no we don't get fruit leftovers in our mailboxes! Our teens haven't thought of that one. What a mess! But we do have testosterone charged boys with baseball bats who take a swing at them.

Look at ours:
    PXL_20220328_180358738.MP_compress53.jpg Can you tell the top is dented in? That's not snowplow damage, that's teenage boy damage

Zigs, Sjoerd, Droopy and 1 other person like this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Teenage boy damage of this nature stopped abruptly over here. When digital CCTV cameras with loop recording became common, about 15 years ago... But since then slingshots and air rifles became more popular, (so they can shoot from outside of the camera's view).

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Although we live on a rural road with a mailbox out front, we haven't had any damage. A few years before we moved here, the budding baseball players went up the road whacking mailboxes. A neighbor near the turn-off saw them and called the retired state trooper that lives about a mile down the road. He was waiting for them with his shotgun, and took out the left side tires of their truck. No more vandalism!
    (I must add that being a retired trooper he can get by with things that would land most of us in court.) He is a lovely, kind man, but he's been there and seen that and knows how to stop it.

Netty, Cayuga Morning and Droopy like this.
  10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I love this thread! We don't have free-standing mailboxes like that. Ours are hung on a rack designed for that purpose, preferably one with a roof, and maybe even walls. Ok, then, a mailbox shed. And we've got boring, rectangular mail boxes, most of them green or white. Ours is grey with angry, red letters because we were suddenly assigned a new address (again) and a few delivery services never found out where we lived. So, big, red letters on the mailbox it is. Some living in town still have that slit in the door from more than hundred years ago.

The kids around here put fireworks in the mail boxes and blow them to smithereens if they don't like the owner of that particular mailbox. I am now going to stock up on tomatoes and leave them to rot since there are a few people I bear a grudge against. Thanks for the idea, @S-H!

S-H and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

@Droopy would you post a photo of your mailboxes? I'm curious. @Sjoerd would you also? (And I know this is the wrong thread, but I promise to get out & take
    photos of my shed, garage, etc.) (You will be aghast.)

Pacnorwest, Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I really like this thread. I love it that you give the mailboxes names. The running commentary just adds to the posting. Keep on truckin’ meid.
    I will try and remember to take a foto of our mailboxes here. They are not at all interesting.

13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Somehow, I had an inkling that someone over here might get inspired - How could it not happen? :smt045

:sete_005::smt038:setf_016::rofl::setf_016::smt038:sete_005:

But do first make sure there is no hidden CCTV camera recording everything 24/7... There are a few devices available online, which can help you sport a hidden camera anywhere - Yes they really do work, (as I've tried it).

All such devices are freely available on home shopping websites like AliExpress, AliBaba, and Amazon. So best of luck! And happy hunting! :smt023

No, it is not illegal to buy, own, and use such devices anywhere in the world - These are merely tools which empower you against any invasion of your privacy...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    Pacnorwest and Droopy like this.
  14. harrylee

harrylee Seedling

Agreed, very strict. I had lived in my house for 2 years when Canada Post came along and said why haven't you moved your mailbox yet? Apparently, the old homeowner was told to move it 100 ft down the road because it was too close to a corner and the delivery vehicle could not stop there safely. It was over 500 ft from the corner, now 600 ft in front of the vacant lot next door.
    Then when the snowplow creamed it, I am the bad guy for not having it repaired the same day.......

Pacnorwest, Netty and Droopy like this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

Ah yes. The Mailbox Saga isn't limited to the NE US.

Pacnorwest likes this.