Maintenance of wood furniture

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by ellaloo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ellaloo

ellaloo Seedling

The edge of wood furniture is its natural wood grain and color. As wood can breathe, it has high requirement for temperature and humidity. Beverage, chemical agent and over heat item should not put on it. Melamine board furniture can be cleaned by Neutral detergent with warm water, and wiping it again with clean water.
    what's your way for maintenance of wood furniture?

2. Loading...

3. james123

james123 New Seed

I have oak wood furniture at home and I clean it very carefully.

First I Sweep grit, crumbs and dust off horizontal surfaces, on furniture my furniture pieces

Than I Wipe down with a damp -- not wet -- household sponge. i use the rough side of the sponge on dirtier spots; apply too much pressure. This is generally adequate for surfaces that aren't very dirty. Than dry off the wood surface immediately with a soft, dry cloth.

After that I mix a solution of saddle soap or wood-cleaning soap in a bucket or bowl, following the manufacturer's instructions for the correct ratio. For small jobs, dribble a teaspoon or so directly onto a wet sponge and squeeze lightly to spread the soap throughout the sponge.

I dip a household sponge in the solution. Than apply it rough side of the sponge to the oak surface and scrub lightly until the dirt is dissipated. gently I press down only hard enough to remove dirt; the object is to abrade the dirt but not the oak's finish.

I rinse the sponge, wring it out and wipe the soap off the wood surface.

Than I dry the wood surface immediately with a soft, dry cloth.

At last I apply polish or natural oil, if desired, according to the type of finish.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I use orange or lemon oil for real wood. Surfaces like melamine or other wood lookalikes, I use Murphy's oil soap in water if it's sticky or soiled, then finish with a little spray of Pledge to polish it up.