Making an old huge loft modern - Lets Start with Bathroom

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by RyaninKC, Dec 14, 2009.

1. RyaninKC

RyaninKC New Seed

I recently obtained an old loft unit. It is in a building from the 1800's, but the loft was redone sometime in the 70's.

Anyways thought I would start with the bathroom which is god awful. I was thinking about an enclosed custom tile shower, and ripping out the ugly tub. But I'm not sure how the layout should be as the bathroom setup is strange.

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    Old ugly bathroom ( photo / image / picture from RyaninKC's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Another angle ( photo / image / picture from RyaninKC's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Bathroom Layout ( photo / image / picture from RyaninKC's Garden )

[/img]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd rip everything out - especially those cabinets. Line the walls with plasterboard and coat with a good quality water repellent/ mould resistant paint. You could then have a tiled shower cabinet at the far end of the bathroom which would give you much more space. The toilet and sink positions aren't too bad and it would save money on repositioning the plumbing if you simply replaced them with new ones. You could also put up a splash back of tiles and a mirrored bathroom cabinet over the sink. Maybe even put in a nice corner shelving unit in the corner behind the door to put towels etc on.

4. RyaninKC

RyaninKC New Seed

Yeah I was definitely going to rip out the cabinets. Would it be possible to do a combination like the one in this picture?

The floor underneath the bathtub area is raised about 8 inches, with the plumbing underneath the raised floor. So it should be easy enough to move/relocate.

[​IMG]
    Bathroom Layout #2 ( photo / image / picture from RyaninKC's Garden )

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wish I was close enough to get that bathtub from you when you take it out.
    I would design the room about that brick wall and the tub, get a more updated look but with an old comfy feel. I don't 'do' modern very well.

Welcome to GardenStew by the way. ;)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

As long as you have enough space for both a bath and a shower then I'd go for it. After all it's your bathroom to design just the way you want it to be. I still wouldn't have any cabinets near either the bath or the shower though but that would just be my personal choice.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I love the exposed brick and would keep it if it were mine! And get a claw foot tub. I don't like modern either! :rolleyes:

8. LinW

LinW New Seed

I love the brick wall. I would divinely keep it. I would change the tub to white, take the cabinet out and replace with a french look mirror and a narrow wooden table plus a rustic chair. I would also decorate the table with fresh cut flowers, perfume bottle or seashells. I wish I have a bathroom that big with a brick wall.

9. Garry Hopkins

Garry Hopkins New Seed

You have not given the bathroom dimensions i.e. X feet by Y feet. Going by the photos I would start with placing the bathtub against the left wall, then the shower, place the sink in front of the door and the toilet besides that on the right hand side.
    You could also shift the door to the left side to make the bathroom more compact and create space for cabinets and divide this space and the bathroom by a mirrored wall (in the right side) Placing the mirror would make your bathroom look bigger.
    You can run your imagination wild on the color scheme and tiling of the bathroom, there can be no advising on this part though ! Every person has own unique ideas.