Mason Bees i think I have some

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by tkhooper, Sep 23, 2014.

1. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

I am so lucky. I was moving an old pile of leaves and heard a buzzing. I dumped out the trash can and there they were. Several bees, i expected to get stung but i didn't. I went back to the pile of leaves that there were some bees there also but they didn't sting me either. even though, i had cut there home in half. I'm assuming these are the mason bees. Now what I'm wondering is if the bee hotels and the paper tube houses are the same and if both will work for the mason bees. I'd like to give them a good home that doesn't include my compost pile.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello TK. Can you get some foto's of these bees in your compost?

4. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

They seem to have disappeared i was looking for them today and didn't see them. But then i didn't see them when i dug them up either. i'll definitely try.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké. Fingers crossed here.
    I must say though, that a compost heap is not the normal place that a mason bee would build a nest. Also, they do not live as a colony.

I am now curious to know what type of bees you encountered. Over here there is a type of bumble bee that builds a nest in the ground...in fact its common name is "ground bumblebee".

Anyway TK, I hope that you can get some foto's, but don't go and get yourself stung.

6. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

It was a pile of leaves that they were nesting in. I don't think that they knew that it was destine for the compost pile. And your right they didn't act like a hive.