Matching wood flooring with other woods in apartment

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by member1527, Feb 24, 2007.

1. member1527

member1527 Guest

I'm in the process of buying an apartment. I have to lay the floors myself and I have my heart set on a particular wood laminate. However, there is already wood in the apartment (the frames on the windows and the balcony doors, and the kitchen cabinets. The kitchen and living room are open plan).

The wood in the window/door frames is not terribly dissimilar to the flooring I want, but the kitchen cabinet wood is totally different. Is that going to look tacky? How important is it that all these woods "match"?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think it's that important to match all the woods as we have light ash laminate flooring but a pine kitchen in our cottage. As long as the wood colours don't clash but blend with each other everything should be just fine.

WELCOME to out forums by the way and I hope you'll stay around and join in the fun here. :-D

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Wednesday and welcome to GardenStew. When you say 'totally different' how different are we talking? Light to very dark for example. Unless it was very extreme I don't think it will be much of an eyesore. Any possibility of a photo or two to give us a better idea?

5. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I don't think it would matter. Our kitchen has oak flooring and woodwork and the island and barstools are more of a cherry color and I think they look good together.

Advertisement
  6. member1527

member1527 Guest

Thanks for the quick replies - wasn't expecting them so soon :)

Here are some pictures of the wood already in the apartment:

http://i9.tinypic.com/2re1ao2.jpg
    http://i16.tinypic.com/2d9z86o.jpg

I don't have a picture of the flooring I want, but it's a red alder - albeit a mild shade of red. Although I'd actually like a deeper red, but I can't find it in a laminate.

Also what about the kitchen tiling? You can see it in this picture:

http://i16.tinypic.com/44bu3hi.jpg

Does it matter if I don't worry about how that matches up with the living room floor?

Appreciate all the help... I'm a first time buyer and I also have no natural eye for design, so I'm really dependent on others' advice :-D

7. saladbowl

saladbowl New Seed

I like your cabinets. From what I see,I don't think it will be a big deal. I think the mild red flooring would look great...but you should post a picture of that because sometimes things look good in my head, but turn out off in the end. hehe.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wednesday I think, if it was me, I'd lose the white doors hiding the kitchen area. Then I'd put the flooring all the way through as it would open up the space and make the whole place seem bigger. Mind you, that's only my opinion and it's really up to you.

9. member1527

member1527 Guest

It's actually a wall, not doors. I agree with you, I'd rather the whole thing was completely open.

10. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

Flooring...

Most woods have graining and are shaded can't you find a flooring that brings the two together has some light and dark in it? I do like the light of the cabinets better than the darker.

11. member1527

member1527 Guest

Hi Susie, I might be able to find a flooring that brings the two together, but I don't really want to if I can help it - I like the darker one better :)

12. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Just my opinion, Wednesday, :)
    I really don't think that you can go wrong with the richer/darker floor coloring.

Your flooring, like any other large surface (walls or ceilings)
    only needs to harmonize with the other surfaces in your home, not match them.
    If you were shopping for carpet, instead of wood laminate,
    you wouldn't limit yourself to a carpet color that was the same as the existing wood tones
    ;) . . . at least I wouldn't.

13. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

I think it will look smashing. Hope you'll give us a picture when it is done. I'll be in the market for some flooring one day and any pics of unusual colours will be appreciated.

muddy

14. Paintgoddess

Paintgoddess New Seed

Like I always say, "Everything doesn't have to match. It just has to go." So no, matching them would actually risk a boring themed look. Play around with it for a bit and keep an open mind.