McAfee...free security

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Sherry8, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

McAfee is suppose to be on my computer for a month . I guess it is a promotion so you pay for it afterwards when you buy a new computer. I have not been able to activate it yet. I will not call because I hate all the sale pitches and they keep you hanging on the line. I did e-mail them because when they sent me a password that is only 6 letters long and it says on there when I try to use what they send me that it is not long enough.
    I will not take pay for more security when they are suppose to be giving it to you free...Anyone else have problems with them? I had them years ago when I got my other computer and it was about the same thing.Just a big pain....if they don't resolve the problem, I am just taking them completely off of my computer so they quit bugging me to activate. Then they tell me I have tried too many times...well , if they wouldn't keep sending me things to activate, I wouldn't..

What companies are more dependable? Sorry for complaining but it gets so frustrating.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you Frank for the information. McAfee is now telling me I do not have a new computer and want 69.99 to keep up my subscription from when I got my first computer in 2005....They are very annoying and it is getting really weird. I only had them for the first 30 days free with the last computer because I remember all they wanted me to do was renew. I will have free everything as soon as the cable company updates their security to work in windows 7. They said it should be ready at the beginning of January...I don't think many companys were ready for windows 7.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

No problem Sherry.

It's my understanding that the cable company can only do so much security-wise i.e your computer and the network are two separate entities. It's a good idea to have security software running on your computer also. Am I getting confused? Do the cable company provide you with software?

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I never liked McAfee Sherry. I had Norton for years but changed to Eset security on the advice of a trusted computer technician. I have had no troubles with it. Computer security is something you shouldn't take chances with Sherry...you get what you pay for.

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I am using AVG free version for personal use and it is Window 7 ready. I have been using it for years and it had been very effective and dependable for me :) . In Window 7 there is already a anti-virus by Microsoft installed called Windows Defender. Anyway it is recommended to have another anti-virus to work with Windows Defender to be more effective.You can download the latest version AVG Anti-virus here http://www.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Frank is right that the cable company can only do so much security-wise i.e your computer and the network are two separate entities. I guess when you mentioned your cable company I believe it is the internet service provider. Normally the internet service provider will provide a email address when you make use of them. Their protection level is usually for the e-mails you receive through their server. I hope I made a right guess here. :)

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I use AVG Free version and have off and on for years. I did have Kapersky for a year, that a friend downloaded for me. It expired, so I went back to AVG!

9. Sprout

Sprout New Seed

I was using (and paying for) Norton 360 when my computer got infected with a virus that installed malware that took out my network card. I had to take my computer in to get it fixed. When they wanted me to renew (at $80/year), I uninstalled them and installed McAfee. My bundle with Comcast includes high speed Internet, which includes McAfee free. Free that works is better than expensive that trashes my computer.