Miles of Strawberries

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Biita, May 28, 2008.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Oi,,good thing we like strawberries,,lol.

This was started last yr, and only went about half way down, this yr all the runners are now in their second yr. so they should produce as well. The weather has been cold, we haven't been above 50F or 10C but maybe 2-3 times this yr. But they are doing great, and really healthy and green. Can't wait to plop one in my mouth, and all that mouthwatering jam to come. Not to mention pies with rhubarb, combo berry jams, ice cream toppings...ect ect.

So now we have a very long run of strawberries since the new ones have been added. That was todays project!

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. donm
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Oh my mouth is watering Biita. I love strawberries. Best of luck with them and I know you will enjoy them.

4. louisiana-blooms

louisiana-blooms Seedling

Wow ,yummmm i luv strawberries .....cant wait for you to post a follow up pic for when there making . looks great the bed you made .

5. Biita

Thanks all,,, i can't wait either!

I have to be reminded of follow-up pics, I'm not very good on my own about that,,lol. Ask the Stew they'll tell ya.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

HOLEY-MOLEY!!!! What a strawberry patch!! :D Do you have problems with birds? Every time I've tried strawberries the birds have beat me to them! :rolleyes:
    Deanna
    :-D

7. Biita

Yes i sure do!,, but as soon as i see flowers i use a hoop system with netting. there is spikes all down the sides of the runway, and we just hook in and lock up until its time to harvest. I can actually walk under the netting so its not so bad. We still have a section of that to make. but we have a few weeks yet.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW Biita that's an awful lot of strawberries!! Maybe we should all come along and help you eat (oops I meant to say harvest) them. ;) Guess you wouldn't have many left for jam though after we'd gone. :p

9. Biita

lol,, please to come help,, i'll share all there is! This actually will get split up between us, Inger and my other friend Kjerste (the dairy farm). We plant on our land because the soil is better for them, and i have out of the way land that people can't get to.

10. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I love sun warmed strawberries, but mom pulled up all the strawberry plants cause she thought they were weeds! *dies*

11. Biita

OMG!!! I would faint on the spot,, i can't live with out strawberry jam,,lol. And fresh strawberries, just can't be beat!

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Darn, now I'm drooling at the thought of fresh strawberries! :D I like to pick strawberries. "One for the basket, one for me..."

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a project! You are going to be well stocked for strawbs this year, it looks like. Who wouldn't be jealous of that patch. It looks fantastic. You land barons really know how to produce! ;)

I checked our small patch yesterday and there are indeed some berries beginning to pinken, but harvesting is still a ways off for us.

We have a bee shortage here at the moment and the administrators are considering setting up some bee hives way over one side of our complex to aid in pollination on our complex.

Thanks for this posting which shows how you guys do it.
    How many weeks before you can expect to harvest?

14. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Anyone have a kleenex handy or a wash cloth! I'm drooling and can't seem to stop. I'll bet a big strawberry stuck in my mouth would stop the drooling!!!!

Again I just can't imagine how you have the strength to do all you do. You are like the 'Energizer Bunny'. That's a commercial we have in the states to indicate something that just keeps on going and going. ;)

15. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh my gosh!!!! I would love to be in that patch when all is ripe, with orange liquor,a syringe to inject the strawberrys with the liquor, a batch of melted white Chocolate and a freezer to put them in after dipping them umum good.I could eat enough to be drunk for days.:)

16. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:smt043 I know that one, and I think you've got Biita nailed there!

I think I need to share kuntrygal's kleenexes...