Mini Azalea

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by stratsmom, Apr 3, 2014.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I am thoroughly enjoying my time in Georgia, drinking sweet tea and loving the mild weather (it is snowing at home :rolleyes: ) I have never been much of an Azalea fan, the only ones I've seen were at the grocery store or WalMart :-? However, this week I came across the teeniest, tinyist, cutest minis!! These are cute!!! The bushes are loaded with itty-bitty blooms about the size of a penny. What can you tell me about these? Where can I find one? If I get one, will it stay tiny or grow according to it's environment?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Aderek
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. AvaRose82
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Strats--Glad to hear you are having a great time in GA.

Unfortunately I can't help you with your mini azalea question, except for this: 30 years ago, my husband & I were visiting friends in Huntsville AL where we were admiring the azaleas. We bought 4 smalls ones & brought them home to New England on the plane. They are still doing well this many years later.

stratsmom likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

If they are what we here know as "Dwarf Azaleas", then they will stay about the same size. They may get a tad taller and wider, but not by much.

They are for sale here in garden centra and super markets from october until march in my country.

They can be a bit difficult to hold over, but with coolness and misting during the hottest and driest periods, you could be successful. it is worth a try.

If they are not too expensive, I'd say, "Go for it"!

Heck, if it doesn't work, at least you've tried it...and if they do make it, then you can be quite proud of yourself. :)

stratsmom and Jewell like this.