Miniature Roses... wild perhaps?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by cherylad, Apr 17, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

There's a corner of the yard where these have been growing for decades. I don't know if my parents planted them... or if they are indeed "wild" as one of my brothers claims.

[​IMG]
    mini roses ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And here you can see how small they are.

[​IMG]
    mini rose_size ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

They just started opening a couple of days ago.
    There's got to be another 50-100 blooms waiting to open.
    If I remember correctly, they only bloom for a few weeks.
    Sure are pretty little things... and my kinda rose... you don't have to do a thing with them! :-D

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There's something about small roses that makes you want to smile whenever you see them. Somehow I always think of them as being brave - daft I know - but they seem so delicate compared to the larger ones. I'm not sure if they are wild or not but I'm so glad you have them in your garden to share with us all. :stew2:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have white ones out front that look like that. Mine were labeled Shrub Rose when I bought them from KMart almost 15 years ago. They do tend to spread every time a stem lays on the ground it immediately grows roots and 'walks' across the yard.

Clusters of dozens of tiny blooms, mine bloom in the spring and maybe again in the fall if the weather cools down enough. The blooms last for a couple of weeks then you have a large shrub covered with dead brown blooms and it is impossible to deadhead them all. You can cut them back almost to the ground any time of the year and they love it. :rolleyes:

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, what you have there is a true antique rose! I'd bet they are Old Blush, except OB reblooms.
    Did you know that all roses are "imported" and North America had no roses until they were brought over by the earliest settlers? I love to think of someone on those tiny little storm-tossed wooden ships carrying cuttings to have a little of home's beauty in the new, raw land. Old Blush dates from the 1500's on this continent (and no, I didn't plant the original!).
    If you want to take cuttings in the fall, this is an ideal candidate. Usually the antiques strike roots pretty easily, and who couldn't use more of that lovely little rose?

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Thanks Toni... that does sound like these alright! Lots and lots of blooms! I'll have to try to see if I can get some propagated. There's a corner over by the neighbors that could use some "covering up"!

Jane.... thanks for the history lesson!

7. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

FWIW rose breeding was a manly-man kinda hobby in Spain.

If your rose is really tiny and short (like less than 6" tall) & bloom is smaller than a dime, it might could be "Mi" of Pedro Dot's breeding.

Save seed if it sets hips.

8. cherylad

I don't think that's it Coppice. Blooms are at least the size of a half dollar. And it's a climber... it's about 8 ft now.

9. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Well note what it does and offer hips anyways.

It might not be one I'm after but rose will grow from seed if you paint inside its lines.

10. cherylad

I'll be sure to pay closer attention and see if there are hips.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, Those are beautiful. I wish I could grow them here. They are way too much work for me. It's HUMID here and I'm at the bottom of a hill so there isn't much of a breeze during the summer. So of course it's a spray schedule for anyone wanting to have nice roses around here. Black spot is all I seem to be able to grow on a rose bush.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, you can have roses! Cheryl is near Houston, the city that invented humidity.
    Try the original Knock-out roses. Not the ones that have been released in the last two or three years, but the ones that came out first. They are pretty resistant to black spot.
    I'm in central Texas, where Houston sends any humidity that's left over, and we just live with black spot, or plant resistant varieties. Don't do without roses!

13. cherylad

Carolyn... I've done absolutely NOTHING to or for these roses. They've been living on their own for as long as I can remember... I'm talking over at least 35 years. Humidity... drought... no fertilizing... no watering... hurricanes... tornados... weeds... more drought... And even brothers with sharp destructive implements! They just keep coming back.
    Wait... I take it back... last year I did trim some honeysuckle away from it.
    I'm just sorry the blooms only last for a few weeks.