Missing birds

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Dec 21, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

As I have posted before, we take part in the citizen science project with Cornell University in New York state. The Backyard Feeder Watch extends from November to April, and we record bird species and numbers for two days a week.
    This year we are getting fewer species, and fewer birds. We usually have at least three kinds of ducks, in numbers from 6 to 12 per species, by now. This year we have one duck, a horned grebe. We also have fewer songbirds.
    We are worried. Is it the strange weather patterns? Is it a change in the winds (we have more south/east winds than usual)?
    Why are our birds missing? Is anyone else experiencing "missing birds", and why do you think they might be not showing up?

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We still have the cardinals and doves. I see hawks now and again and there were a lot of smaller birds, probably sparrows, hopping all over the yard this morning. We are using a lot more bird seed trying to keep the feeders filled these gray, rainy days.

dooley

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have had less than half the birds of years past...but then my neighborhood has twice the normal number of feral cats. We are just now getting back some Dove and Sparrows.

5. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I always try and take part in the RSPB garden bird count - which sounds very like your Citizen science project Jane,although ours is more of a snapshot and all they ask is for one hour of observation on a particular weekend.
    In the run up to the count I try and note the average number of birds per species and if none turn up in the particular day then that is the figure I give them...Any way this year has been particularly strange WRT weather ,in that it has been very very mild after a good growing season in the bottom half of the UK,so right up until last week we had nowhere near our usual number of visitors :( . I have assumed that they have been enjoying the bounty of the countryside.But it now looks as though times are getting harder and this week has seen both a flock of Starlings and several male Blackbirds arrive to be alongside the Sparrows,Robins,Wrens,various Tits and the Collared doves.

After a couple of poor years due to wet Summers the Sparrow population dropped dramatically,but this year has been much better for them so now we have at least 20 that visit on a regular basis. It costs a fortune to look after them but they bring so much pleasure it matters not.

Fingers crossed that you get the numbers and variety you hope for!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Over here there's a lack of some of our usual winter birds. There are no Redpolls or Siskins although we now have Long-tailed tits now. Even our 'normal' birds are fewer in numbers than they have been in past years. The Bullfinches seem to be absent which is strange as they are normally here all year round. I've put it down to the abnormal weather conditions too as we haven't had much snow or really cold weather. In fact I have snowdrops, daffodils and crocus all sprouting already which is unheard of for Scotland this early.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

For a few years after the neighbors tore out their hedgerows, there were NO birds here. Is there construction or deforestation of some sort in your neighborhood?

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, no construction or deforestation. I even checked with surrounding farms (indirectly, not yelling, "Hey, y'all sprayed something deadly lately?")to see if there was pesticide/herbicide applied. Nope, not so much as a drop.
    It is comforting in a way to know we are not alone in our decrease in birds.

9. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

We usually have a lot of birds but haven't seen any for the past few weeks. We put out bird seed bells and no birds came to eat. They are usually gone in a day.

10. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Birds were absent here for a bit. Then the weather turned and suddenly, they're here..................

4 kinds of woodpeckers (I count 3 kinds of flickers as one), purple/gold finches, tufted titmice, chickadee's, nuthatches, kinglets, sparrows-mostly English with a few natives thrown in, junco's, and some I probably haven't observed.

Dove's and cardinals, on occasion too.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

My numbers are way down and they are leaving food in my feeders which are always empty when my husband fills them every day. But....my problem is the Cooper's Hawk. He has already gotten a Blue Jay and either a squirrel or rabbit where he has left parts...who knows what else he has carried away. I would be scared to come out too with that big hawk chasing me. Not much I can do except step out the door and try and scare him away when I see him or let the dogs out. I am hoping he looks for another area to hunt and leave my birds alone...

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sherry, we have both Cooper's and Red-tailed hawks, but they don't bother the birds at our feeders. The hawks hunt our pasture for voles, mice, and other small mammals.
    It's a shame that the hawk has decided to hunt your feeders, and I hope he moves on soon.

13. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

My birds are back. Blue Jay, Cardinals and a lot of small birds.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have noticed fewer birds at the feeders as well this year...well, actually for the past three years.

In the migratory bird conservation work that I do, I have noticed fewer birds and fewer nest as well. The final nation-wide figures will be out after the first of the year.

15. mart

mart Strong Ash

I think the weather is still too mild. We have the normal few sparrows, cardinals, and the resident mockingbirds ect. that never leave but none of the winter birds. When the weather eliminates their natural food source they will be here. We still have a couple of bluebirds.

16. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry8 I totally understand about the hawks keeping your birds from coming to the feeders. We still have a Sharp Shined hawk that is hunting the birds at our feeders. Just this last week I spotted it on our front lawn defeathering another woodpecker. :'( :'(
    I opened the front door and yelled at it and he took off with the bird in tow. b
    Before he showed up we had a lot of Gold finches. But it was also a lot colder than it is now. Plus we have no snow so I think that the birds can find food a lot easier.
    We do have 4 squirrels that daily visit our feeders. One is a super fat Fox squirrel. From the way it looks it could us a diet. But I think it is just a super furry winter coat it is wearing. I will have to post a pic of him or her.
    We have had our usually birds for this time of year when the hawk wasn't here. We have an abundance of woodpeckers. Downy, hairy, red bellied, and lately the Pileated. Plus the large nuthatch and smaller one, and a lot of chickadees. I think with our home having fir and other trees around it helps bring in the birds. Plus we have a lot of woods near our property and the river behind us. :stew1: