Modern kitchen cabinets in a traditional house?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by jonykruger, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonykruger

jonykruger New Seed

What do you think about remodeling a kitchen with stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and modern cabinets when the rest of our house is decorated in a more traditional way? Will it look out of place or is it ok to mix styles? I don't really want a modern feel to the family room or dining room - just the kitchen Thanks.

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Decorating the kitchen in a modern way will definitely kill the beauty of the traditional ambience of the whole house in my own humble opinion. Nowadays with modern technology there are so many different materials that can be used to give the kitchen a traditional touch with modern amenities.

Welcome to Garden Stew :) .... err why not drop a few lines in the welcome section.

4. Plumbing And Lighting

Plumbing And Lighting Seedling

While I agree with KK that it could disrupt your ambience, I think it could work if you used a transitional decorating style for whatever space leads into the kitchen. This way, you and your home's visitors aren't entirely thrown about by drastic differences in design.

5. arv

arv Seedling

There are no rules in design, you can do whatever you want if done with a good eye and taste. I would say go ahead but it is worth getting the work done by a professional designer .

Advertisement
  6. fencesllove

fencesllove Seedling

i think its not wrong to decorate the kitchen in a modern way for as long as it will look neat and organized.

7. Delly

Delly In Flower

I think that if you use materials in the new "modern" kitchen that resemble traditional style you could get away with it....like use a stainless sink that resembles a farmhouse sink, then you could use the stainless steel appliances..and you can always use your brick brack to make it more traditional, lighting fixtures and island can have the traditional look as well....updating your kitchen is the best investment you can make on your house.....it is for the most part the heart of the house and you should always stay comfortable there!