Moles and more moles

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by jmarc, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jmarc

jmarc New Seed

How to get rid of these things or at least keep them out of the yard? I realize they're after the grubs, but I've spread grub killer. Maybe my yard is just too infested. I've heard to use everything from solar vibrators to pop bottles to exlax. My wife and I dug one up the other day when we saw the ground moving. One less mole. Is just one mole doing all this damage? How many moles can be in a yard?

John

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have a friend who found the entrance hole for the tunnel. She then set up a mouse trap (with peanut butter on it I think), then placed a bucket over it and caught 20 or so moles in a few weeks. She kept re- lacing the trap and emptying it.

Do you have skunk damage in your lawn, too? That is grubs that they are after. the moles are most likely eating worms.

4. jmarc

jmarc New Seed

I think I'll try that!

Now that is a great idea and it sounds like it should work! I'm going to try several traps and see what happens. I'll let you know how I make out, maybe even post a few pictures if I succeed. Thanks!

John

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

You have my sympathy! I have battled them all summer!! I will try the peanut butter trick! I don't
    know if they are moles, voles or gophers. All I know is I am sick of them!!! We have never had them this bad! :-x

Advertisement
  6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Look for mole chaser windmills. I believe I bought mine at Harbor freight last spring and they seem to help a lot. They are about 2ft. tall and vibrate. I move them around from time to time and they seem to drive the moles somewhere else. I also plant castor bean plants on edge of gardens. They work real well but can get very large.

7. mepooooo

mepooooo New Seed

I have heard that when you found their hole you can insert hose and turn on the water in the mole's hole. They will be drown but it is very unhuman.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I just get the bait at the farm store and poison the little critters !! They die underground so no problems with pets !!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Carolyn. Did you say "peanut butter"?!!
    Can you confirm that with your friend? That is a most unexpected bait for moles.
    ....peanut butter, Hmmmm.