Moles!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by EJ, Mar 15, 2006.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

One of the gardens I visit has a real Mole problem. They have totally invaded his garden, the lawn is wonky and dangerous in places as it sinks suddenly and sharply, and there are hills all over. Also plants are being uprooted, or outrooted if you like where the moles are tunnelling underneath. They have tried all of the safe methods they can think of, they don't want to kill them and they don't want to trap them and take them away.....so, any secret weapons or ideas I can pass on? :D

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here's one of the tips from my blog EJ that might be helpful. It was passed on to me by an old farmer who used to come in to the vets for drenches for his cattle.

Ferret droppings.

Now, as you know, there are very few garden pests that cause quite as much destruction and devastation to a well-kept lawn or border than the mole.

**Please, don't even consider killing him, as that is barbaric. After all he is just going about doing his normal daily business and doesn't realise the harm he's causing.**

Did you know that the natural preditor of the mole is in fact the badger - bet you didn't! !!!
    Now as it is notoriously difficult to lay your hands on badger poo I've come up with an easier solution. Now a ferret, is luckily, a close relative of the badger (boy am I full of amazing facts today LOL) and poor, old Mr. Mole can't tell the difference between one poo and the other. Members of your local ferret association are only too happy to part with the stuff!! Once you've got your smelly bagful mix it in an old container with a little water to make a paste.

**It's advisable to wear a face mask unless you have a strong stomoch while doing this.**

Dig out the molehills and paint the ferret-poo paste around the rim of the entrance holes. Alternatively you could just pop a mound of it down into the hole itself. The wind will take the ferret smell down into the network of tunnels. Mr Mole ambles along, stops, sniffs, gets a whiff, thinks OMG BADGER...... and scarpers!!!!!! Hopefully never to darken your garden gate again.

A friend of mine tried this, and although not a pleasant task, swears it works!! :D

4. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

ooooooooooooooooooo. They have ferrets at our local petting farm. Might give them a call and see if I can blag a bag-o-poo! Thanks Eileen, will keep you posted!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

6. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Eileen i love the way you tell a story! :D