Money plant (Epipremnum aureum or Pothos) is sick

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by taran.grover, Jul 3, 2014.

1. taran.grover

taran.grover New Seed

[​IMG]
    3 ( photo / image / picture from taran.grover's Garden )

[​IMG]
    2 ( photo / image / picture from taran.grover's Garden )

[​IMG]
    1 ( photo / image / picture from taran.grover's Garden )

As I am residing in UAE here temp is 40 to 50 degree celsius.. and recently i noticed that my money plant branches are getting yellow and growth is almost stopped.. leaves are getting brown.. and in some branches leaves are not even coming.. i tried keeping it indoor as well as outdoor but nothing worked as of now.. any sugggestions...

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Oh wow, that is a sad little thing isn't it? :-?

4. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

How often do you water it?
    Does it get direct sun or filtered sun? Mine do best in bright, indirect light. Maybe the heat is too much for it.

I would start by bringing it indoors.
    Then I would cut the unhealthy growth off.
    If there are some branches that have healthy leaves after a section of nothing, I would cut that section of healthy stem off and leaves to put in some water and let it root, while throwing the rest of the branch away.

purpleinopp likes this.
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Welcome. Why do you call that a Money Tree? I think it's a Pothos. I would cut it into segments the replant it with the leaf intersections in the soil. Use good potting soil.

Good luck.

Advertisement
  6. taran.grover

taran.grover New Seed

Beeter... I water it daily... And it receives direct sunlight in early morning for 1 to 2 hours... What do u think why branches are getting yellow ?

7. taran.grover

taran.grover New Seed

Watetrop.. Thanks for ur advice will do that.. In india this plant is known by the name of money plant and as per feng shui it brings u wealth and prosperity... Dont knw whthr that is corect or not :p

8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Is it drying daily? If not, that's probably the problem. How long has the plant been in the same soil? The roots may be out of room to grow also.

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I think it's getting too much water also.

10. Will Creed

Will Creed New Seed

This is a common problem with Pothos that are allowed to grow unchecked without pruning. Eventually, older leaves die back as new growth comes in at the ends of the vines. The result is long, ugly strings. In nature, Pothos can vine along the ground as it sets roots in the damp rainforest floor. Not so when potted.

Overall, your plant looks healthy, although it appears the watering and light has been inconsistent. Start by pruning all of those long stems back to within a few inches of the soil. The healthy tip cuttings can be rooted in water or damp soil. Healthy (non-yellowed) stems will produce new growth at the nodes closest to the pruning cut.

Keep your Pothos indoors and protected from any direct sunlight. Water thoroughly as soon as the top half-inch of soil feels dry.

Beeker likes this.