Moonflower Vine - What A Lovely Night For A Moondance

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cajunbelle, Jun 12, 2006.

1. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

This is my all time, number one, favorite flowering vine, a moonflower vine. They open at dusk and are shimmering white with a pale green center. The fragrance is very intoxicating. It is very romantic to sit at dusk and watch the moonflowers open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Moonvine

I absolutely adore the moonvine. I grow it on my pergola posts. That way even if the "skeeters" are out we can enjoy it through our sliding glass doors. Do you get the lovely Sphinx moths that come at dusk to sip it's nectar?

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Beautiful. My daughter and I were just talking about the concept of planting for a 'moonlight garden' - I'll have to show her this.

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

This looks something like my Angel Trumpet and it blooms at dusk . I do love my Angel Trumpets .I had 11 blooms night before last must get developed to show.

Advertisement
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Bethie, yes I have seen the moth before, it is just an added bonus to the moonvine.
    Primsong, these are great for a moonlight garden, they absolutely glisten in the moonlight. We came home on evening at dusk and looked to the right where I had one planted on a piece of wire over a stump. There were so many flowers open you could not see the leaves. It was the most amazing flower site that I have ever seen.
    Glendann these are not the same as Angel's Trumpet, but are just as lovely. I have my first AT from seed this year, it is very slow growing, but I can wait. If she doesn't bloom this year I will overwinter her in the greenhouse.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I do soooooo love white flowers especially at night!! :-D

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I just love the AT and I have a double purple it is deep purple outside and light lilac inside just beautiful I also have a yellow and orange I got today.They are not blooming yet.I will add the Moon Vine to my list .

9. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Eileen, do you grow the moonflower vine. If you need seed let me know and I will send you some this fall, if it is ok to ship out of country.

10. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I have moonflower seedlings :D cant wait till their big enough to flower! I may just have to plant the rest of my moon seedlings as well ^_^ They look strange tho as theyre growing new leaves, the leaves look all wrinkly o_O But theyre starting to straighten out and look more like normal leaves *lol*

11. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Sharon have your moonvines started to bloom this year? They are really amazing blooms! I have lavendar ones along with the white ones planted this year. I will let you know how they do and if I get seeds from the lavendar ones I will send you some seeds if you would like!

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I used to have a fence that I grew Morning Glory and Moonflowers on. I wish I had pictures...they were beautiful!

13. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Oh Netty moonflowers and morning glories are beautiful together!!

14. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Julie, no mine are not blooming yet, I only have one, and I got a late start on it, but it is starting to vine. I would love some of your lavender seed if they make. I have been looking all over for them and finally found some, but I lost the site and can't find it.

15. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

Those are wonderful. I have a friend who has some but I'm never around that late. I'll have to hit her up for some seeds.

16. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ive decided to plant more moon seeds, but this time Ive got em soaking in water ^^ The last seeds I just planted, and out of 5, 4 came up, but two died. The other two are doing great tho :)

Ive also got some morning glory seeds (Heavenly Blue and another kind) that Im going to pu with em :D