More Misc Birds.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Hunting through my pics found these - a few more to be found over here. The first is a Magpie which was sitting and I caught it as it suddenly swooped down wings, tail and feathers fully extended. Jay.
    Sparrow Hawk sitting and hovering (in silhouette).
    Heron at sunset finding a fishing spot.
    Moorhens. Dunnock.
    Blackbird.

Syd.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donna S, Shawchert and 2ofus like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All these birds live here in Scotland too but I haven't seen any Jays in this particular area.
    I once had a German lady chat to me at my front gate and she told me our British birds were all brown and boring. Somehow I don't think she'd seen many of our colourful species do you?

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. With all respect to her I get the feeling that German lady may be one of those people who have been everywhere, done everything and yet SEEN nothing - theres a lot of 'em about.
    Jays down this neck of the woods are a very shy bird and are heard far more often than seen. Opposite us there is the most beautiful mature Oak tree and in Autumn that is a time to spot them - collecting acorns- along with Squirrels.
    Did actually have a young Jay on the plot last Spring along with a couple of young Magpies. All looking very tatty and dishevelled but my how very smart they are with their new adult plumage. Will try and find the pics - if I can I take it its OK to insert them in this post with an edit?.
    Syd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, those moor hens are lovely--we have nothing like that here. Your photos are really very good, and I'm enjoying each and every one.

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane- all. Glad you like the pics - have to admit that whilst not by any means expert I am definitely "camera happy" - always on the look out.
    The Moorhens are lovely birds and like freshwater - cannot recall seeing them in salt but not sure on that one. In clean ponds or lakes they are to be found but spend almost as much time out rooting about in the ground as they do in the water. Often have I seen them even in bushes quite a way up off the ground. As they walk tails are flicked showing the white flashes.

Their new young are just about as endearing as you could wish ever to find - golf ball sized of black fluff and they either hide under the bank or else are out close behind mum and dad - sometimes sitting on them. Small as they are they have the most incredible turn of speed when needed and literally skoot across the water. Love to know their "standing start" times!. A favourite sight always - small Coots are very similar.

At our last property we did actually now and then see a Moorhen in the garden and the nearest water was a mile down the road - a small pond fed by a clean stream.
    Also did once have a ten or twelve family of young Ducklings but no adults in sight. Called in the local "bird man" who rounded them all up one at a time and took them off - hopefully to reunite them with their parents.
    Syd.

7. eileen

There's no problem about you inserting more photographs here with an edit Syd. We're always happy to look at more birds!! :-D

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Thanks for that - I get in a muddle with this double posting thing which still does puzzle me. A topic is thought through before starting it and having got say a third through it it grinds to a halt - would be nice to be able to restart it with more of what was in mind at the start - hopefully of further interest.
    Ref bird pics there was a few more about here this morning so spent an hour and got pics of some I have not sent yet. Will post them as you suggested here now.
    Hows that Scottish weather - any signs of Spring where you are?. I have only been to Scotland once and was very much impressed - that was to Kirkcaldy and did go over THE railway bridge in a train. Speaking of trains I am a great steam fan and have masses of DVD's - these include some of Scotland and the West Highland LIne etc - so have a good idea about the general scenery - wonderful..

Birds are. Blue Tit - Marsh Tit - Robin - Nuthatch -Great Tit - Coal Tit- Blue Tit - Blue Tit . The Robin normally feeds on the ground but for some time now also flies very neatly onto the feeders. Syd.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell likes this.
  9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Beautiful birds....you sure have been busy taking photos. I have to take the time and try and get some taken. I just get busy with other projects ...

Robin H likes this.
  10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Sherry. Yes indeed I do so love my cameras and always have one with me and eyes open. Some of those of the Geese flying were taken at last property all along the River Colne in Essex.
    The last two of the tiny Blue Tit shows their small size though we do have smaller birds - the Goldcrest and the Firecrest - they are about here (many Pine trees) - I have seldom seen them though have been told in some gardens here they do come to the feeders.
    Another elusive bird is the little Tree Creeper which does just as its name suggests creeping along branches and UP tree trunks searching into the bark crevices. Interestingly it only ever goes upwards never downwards on a trunk. They can move quickly.
    Similar to it in habit is the Nuthatch but these go each and every way on a tree - have amazing speed.
    Would love to see more U.S birds.
    Syd.

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  12. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Love all these pix thanks for posting them.

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi KItty. Thanks and glad you like them. Have to confess I am not the worlds brightest on PC's - not by a very long shot. I get in a muddle with uploading pics so apologies to all if a little askew - I do however make a very good cup of tea!. Syd.

14. eileen

More great shots Syd. I've had a Tree Creeper in our garden s well as a Goldcrest -both lovely birds in their own right. The Great Spotted Woodpeckers are regular visitors here as are a pair of Sparrow Hawks. You're lucky to get Thrushes visiting you as they have become rather rare up here.

By the way if you ever visit Scotland again you should take a trip to Bo'ness to see their steam trains. Here's a ink for you:
    http://www.bkrailway.co.uk/

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Thanks once again - always look forward to a comment from yourself. We see Great Spotted/ Green Woodpeckers and Treecreepers here though the Green is heard more than seen and then in deeper woods. There is definitely Goldcrests and Firecrests but these are rarer - certainly to my vision where I live although right next to woods - again perhaps they are further into them. Thrushes sadly are as rare here as they are with you - think its a general all over thing.
    I have only been to Scotland once but admire the Country and its beauty very much - went to Kirkcaldy and also over THE Bridge on a steam train to it. I am a great great fan of steam and have visited a few preserved sites in Yorks and Devon/Somerset. Love to watch travel and places DVD's both UK and abroad and have some on Scotland - also worked with Scots and had Sc ots mates in the Army. The Bon'ess I also know about via DVD's.
    Syd.

2008_01060270.JPG sid 114.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  16. eileen

Those Mallards certainly stand out nicely against the snow cover don't they? Their orange feet always make me smile for some reason.:shrug: