More of the same, only more recent

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by blissful photons, Sep 11, 2012.

1. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

[​IMG]
    A small crop of Buckeye seeds this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

interesting. I thought you had a table full of tomatilla's and a few tulip bulbs that you were drying for some reason. :D I guess I have never seen buckeye seeds before in their husks. Thanks for the picture.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

MOTS?? (more of the same) Buckeye seeds.....from what little I have read about them they are not very popular with animals. They are however, very popular with people in Ohio where just about everything is named Buckeye, even a football team. :)

Jerry

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, Obviously being from Ohio doesn't mean I am "up" on all things "buckeye" :rolleyes: evidently I am a slow one here. Silly me to be a failing Ohioan. I do remember now, that my Grandma's neighbor had a buckeye tree when I was little, but I don't remember the husks on the nuts. Maybe by the time I saw them they had been run over a few times or they split from the husk before they fell here. I do remember my Gramps having a bucket full of them in the Fall. He must have picked them up before mowing. I don't know that they have any nutritional value for anything. I do wonder if there is any value to the nut at all. Does anybody know? Are they poisonous for all animals? Or just some animals? We do see a lot of "Buckeye Jewelry" made from them for Fall sporting events though. VERY fashionable :rolleyes: . Better not go to Akron sporting the latest fashion designs for Fall....You might be run down or out of town for it.

6. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

Aesculus glabra

This species is generally regarded as the official 'Ohio Buckeye'.

The species I grow is pavia.