Mortgage Lifter tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AAnightowl, May 10, 2014.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Has anyone ever heard of them? The local home center had some yesterday, for $3.49, I think it was for a nice big plant. They are an heirloom variety, so I thought I would try them. I looked them up on Bonnie Plants, and she says they get 6 ft to 10 ft tall, and get really huge tomatoes of 1 to 3 lbs each. They are supposed to be really nice slicing tomatoes for sandwhiches. I bought only one, since I had already bought 8 other tomato plants called Better Boy.

I finally got my tomatoes in the ground today. I still have to put out my pepper plants and cukes, and have gobs of seeds to plant yet. I am way behind...

I used a lattice work panel to support the Mortgage tomato, and my two biggest plants with it. I got some petunias and some thyme this week too.

Here is one website about them:

http://bonnieplants.com/products/new-fo ... oom-tomato

Yes, there is more than one story about them, and more than one man claiming credit for developing them.

2. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I've grown them. Great tasting tomato. I found the texture off-putting. It is a PINK not a red tomato. Early or late blight will do the plant in. This variety is not particularly disease resistant.

Well ventilated area, keep the foliage as dry as possible, and as a preventative for fungus/blight you might spray with a dilute solution of milk and water. I don't remember the exact ratio.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I grew them one year. I couldn't have remembered that they were pink, I just remember they were big and juicy (what few of them there were) and I didn't really get too excited over them. YOu give them a try and see if you like it. We all have different taste perceptions and what I like you might not and what you might think was wonderful... or it could be our weather and soil and nutrients available that also influences the flavor of the tomatoes. But, like fbg mentioned, do spray for blight if you want a crop to ripen. Otherwise it probably won't make it through the Summer.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

I tried a couple last year,, was not impressed. They are a large ugly pink tomato. Very small harvest from them. You will have better results with the Better Boy tomatoes. Or try my favorite,,Parks Whopper for a good slicer. Much better flavor than the Mortgage Lifter.

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

It did say they were pink with a mild flavor. I like a tangy tomato. Will see if I can spray with the milk mixture. Thanks.