Mosaics - LIP (Learning in Progress)

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by muddypaws, Nov 18, 2011.

1. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Hi stewbies!

My new project is mosaics. I LOVE finding and breaking the plates! My first project is below, but didn't turn out as I wanted. Here it is:

[​IMG]
    sideways. sorry ( photo / image / picture from muddypaws's Garden )

Okay. I's sideways but the get the idea. Its a plant in a planter. Here's what I learned from my first project.
    1. when using black grout, no dark color tile. The planter pot doesn't show up too well
    2. I had too much space between the tile pieces and it makes the entire piece look too dark. I may repeat this one all over again.

My next project WIP:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from muddypaws's Garden )

I'm going to use white grout on this one, and place the pieces closer together.

I have to say that after my hypertufa projects, I think this will be my new favorite. I have people at work bringing me old colorful plates to use. It's very relaxing and pretty easy too once you find a good pattern.

(Yes, it's just 6am. I can't sleep so here I am posting!

Have a good day, all!
    Muddypaws

Frank and stratsmom like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I actually like the first one and would hang it in my garden any day. It reminds me of a topiaried bay tree - very nice. :D Do let us see the butterfly once it's finished as it looks good already. So glad you're enjoying your new hobby. :stew2:

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Susan, the first one looks great. just like a topiary. the black grout and plates look fine. Butterfly one is looking good, too.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Susan, all artists are their own harshest critic. Those mosaics are lovely to my eye. Please post a photo of the butterfly when it is finished. Wish I had some plates to send you!

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Those look fantastic! Mosaic's are something I have wanted to try, as well as stained glass.
    Can't wait to see the finished butterfly :)