My backyard

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Hank, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Hank

Hank Seedling

I was sitting on the deck havin' a beer, and I thought it looked good enough to share with you folks. (don't look too hard to see all the weeds) ;)
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Very nice! I love the raised beds.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Awww Hank why did you have to do that? :( Your garden is soooo neat and tidy that it puts mine to shame. :oops:

Must dash as I feel a sudden urge to get out back and do a bit of pruning!!![​IMG]

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I agree with PL, the raised beds really catch your eye. I really wanted to walk over to them and inspect everything, but then I walked into my laptop screen :rolleyes:

Hank you know you are becoming a GardenStew addict when you are having a nice relaxing beer and you feel the urge , not to relax, but to take photos for us. You may want to check out this topic :D

Advertisement
  6. Hank

Hank Seedling

Thanks folks. :-D

That veggie garden has gone through many different looks over the years. When we bought the home 11 years ago, that entire area, from the onions to the perennial border, was full of 4 ft. tall weeds and it extended like that about 80 ft to the back yard. The perennial border was a 100' row of horribly overgrown raspberries with the assorted ash tree volunteering themselves randomly in the row. The veggie garden was about 40' x 80' and hadn't grown a crop in years. (The former owners of the house were well into their 90's.) After attempting to tackle that mess with a hand sickle, I got the FIL's tractor and did it right. I cut the veggie garden back to 30' x 30' (10m x 10m ;)), planted a small perennial garden and seeded the rest into lawn. The raspberries took a coupla years to conquer. I lifted over 20 ash trees outta that mess and planted a bunch in the back and gave away many, leaving three on the property line. Next came the fence, then the relocation of the 10' x 20' perennial garden to the fenceline. Somewhere during all of that we decided that 900 square feet of veggie garden is waaaay too much for 2 people, so we cut that do 20' x 20'. Then the raised beds were built, and I love em. The neighbors (very traditional folks) watched over the fence with a wary eye, but I think they are happy with the results. I am.

I just wanna thank you folks fer letting me post (and boast) about my gardens. I'm glad I found this forum. I realized that I don't have a lot of friends that share my interests in gardening, and it's nice to share stories here. My wife tries her best to enjoy it as I do, but her true passion is with horses and animals. I get the yard duties. :D

7. Hank

Hank Seedling

Frank - great link. I musta missed that one during my reads. I guess I'm getting "hooked" too.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Thanks Hank and we are very glad to have you here! :D Very interesting story about you backyard, all the hard work paid off.

9. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I love it. Man I really cant wait for us to buy our first home! You have just given me more ideas! I love how neat it is...all in a row. Very nice. When you get to drink a beer and enjoy the fruits of your labor, its all worth it.

10. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Everything looks so good. I love to look at other people's yards. I'm ready to grab any idea and make it my own. 8)

11. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Very nice and I can relate to having gardeners to share with. My husband does not care for helping outside but fortunately for me he loves to cook so I can spend more time in my gardens.

Polly

12. Hank

Hank Seedling

Happy 4th of July weekend everyone. Here's my accidental patriotic section of the garden:

[​IMG]

13. Hank

Hank Seedling

Lilies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I love the lillies. My were damaged by a hail storm last week so are looking kind of sickly.

15. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Wonderful pics - as the others said, your yard is so wonderfully neat and tidy, I love the raised beds (something I am hoping to add in my sideyard).
    I *so* know what you mean about the ash trees - I pull them up all the time. Stubborn critters they are.

Such a relaxing yard!

16. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That is very pretty .I do love your garden .I like raised beds so much and yours is a great example .Just fantastic.