My Bed Life Cycle

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Nov 16, 2021.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Just thought I share how my beds life cycle is like living in a place where many say that we have only two seasons. It is the hot season and the raining season, sometimes it is a fusion hot and wet together.

A couple of weeks after the final harvest and in the raining season this was how the bed was like.
    [​IMG]

First was to clear a section of the bed to make the work lighter :)
    [​IMG]
    The layer of weeds were stored in the blue container for later use.

Then a layer of the earth was removed and was stored in another container.
    [​IMG]
    The earth were dug layer by layer and kept in the light blue container. I do this because I think most of the seeds from the weeds were naturally sown here.

Another layer was removed and stored in another container. This go on until the depth of about 8~12 inches was achieved. The containers were placed in such a way so that I know which container contains the earth from which depth.
    [​IMG]
    I practice first out first in. The first out I believe will contain the seeds of the weeds and so first in will be buried deep inside so that the seeds will not germinate.

If I need some earth for a container. I'll take the earth from the deepest layer which I believe that it was richest in nutrients because of the garden and kitchen waste added in when the bed was prepared for the last planting.
    [​IMG]

Along the way of removing the earth, it is always a pleasant sight to meet with the long term residents.
    [​IMG]

The weeds that was first removed were placed back into the hole along with some garden and kitchen waste.
    [​IMG]

To replace the earth that was removed for container planting, the earth from a old container together with the weeds were dump in and spread out evenly.
    [​IMG]

Then all the rest of the earth were added in accordingly.

When the first section is done, I will repeat the whole process for the second section.
    [​IMG]
    And likewise for the final section.
    [​IMG]

After all the earth were returned into the hole, it is levelled.
    [​IMG]

A layer about 3~4 inches of the levelled earth was then removed section by section and mixed with compost. The compost added in is about 50% of the earth layer. I use a wheel barrow to do this.
    [​IMG]

After that the earth was levelled again and the watering pipes were installed.
    [​IMG]

Now for the planting. My tools are simple and I made it :D
    [​IMG]
    OOps! no I did not make the spoon :) The stick with the sharp end is for making the hole and the other is for levelling it out. The sticks in the the bed are markers for spacing.

The holes ready to take in the seedlings.
    [​IMG]

In goes the seedling, quick and easy :)
    [​IMG]

And the whole bed was planted with 3 varieties of Asian green.
    [​IMG]

And finally a bug cover was used to protect the plants.
    [​IMG]
    Fresh veggies in 6~8 weeks.

Jewell, Logan, Frank and 7 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KK—I enjoyed this posting of yours very much. If there were a contest here called, “ Gardening Thread Of The Year”, I would vote for yours. I liked the orderliness first of all. You showed all the steps and explained the logic of why you did what you did. There was also a timeline with a beginning and end. The tools, frames and coverings were also shown.

I can really appreciate your thoroughness, planning and hard graft that made this process work for you. One aspect of successful gardening is the ability of the gardener to adapt to conditions—weather, moisture, space or soil. This posting of yours shows that you have adapted to your particular situation rather well.

Thanks again for this great thread. It is an inspiration.

Logan likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really enjoyed reading and seeing what you do in your garden KK. Such dedication and hard work will make those veggies taste even better when you crop them I'm sure.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You are a very organized gardener!
    The sharpened stick is what we here call a "dibble" and it is so handy for making planting holes.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I so like it when I get to see threads like these. Step-by-step and explaining why you do what you do. Thank you!

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Excellent KK ! Can`t wait to see what grows !

Logan likes this.
  8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you very much Sjoerd, I am pleased you enjoyed it. :) I am doing my best :D

Eileen Thank you :), glad you enjoyed the posting.

Thanks Marlingardener, now I know what to call it :)

Thanks Droopy, glad you enjoyed it :)

Mart thanks, if I can remember I'll post what I harvested when the time comes. :)

Logan, Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

That's a beautiful vegetable garden and so much thought and planning and work put into it.

Logan likes this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you Daniel and a very warm welcome.
    Have fun :)

Logan likes this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That looks great KK Ng and a lot of hard work but very rewarding, look forward to seeing what grows.

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Logan, yes it is rewarding and I'll try to remember to post the harvest. I only harvest what is needed for the meal when the veggies are matured enough, so our meals are planned around with what I have in my mini farm :)

Logan likes this.