My bell pepper has dark joints

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by daisybeans, Jun 20, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It's been many years since I grew peppers so I don't remember if it is normal for them to be dark at the joints like these are. I read somewhere that it is part of their habit but it looks worrisome to me. The leaves are still sturdy and are not wilting, and there are a lot of baby peppers. It is happening on all of the plants. Is it because it's been too wet and not enough sun/heat to dry the rain? Should I do something?

[​IMG]
    pepper getting black at the joint. ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

I also noticed today that the two original baby yellow squash have become soft and sort of rotty at the tip where the flower fell off... Again, am I not doing something that I should be doing? Or is it just the unfortunate consequence of so much rain and not enough sun?

2. Loading...

3. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

It sounds like you have blossom end rot. I've heard Daconil is a good preventative. I don't know if it corrects an existing condition Daiseybeans.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hmmm, that is helpful. I read that you it is from a calcium deficiency. You can't correct it on squash that is already set, but a calcium rich foliar spray can help the next round.

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

With more research, I see that blossom end rot can also be caused by overwatering... that makes sense. Maybe with that in mind, I will hold off on the spraying and hope the rain tapers off soon.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really don't think you're doing anything wrong Daisy but the rain sure is. I really hope it clears up for you soon and that the sun comes out before any more of your plants get ruined.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks all. Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not doing something wrong... I guess we shall see what happens next with the weather. More rain due tonight. Tomorrow a chance, but maybe not! Mon-Wed supposed to be dry! :-D At least I'm learning a lot!

8. moneyintheloops

moneyintheloops New Seed

my pepper plants are the same with black through out the stem i think is normal as they are producing nicely

[​IMG]
    my peppers ( photo / image / picture from moneyintheloops's Garden )