My birthday week-end in Germany.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by eileen, Dec 15, 2017.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Where to start? :headscratch:
    We were supposed to have flown to Cologne to book into our hotel mid afternoon but were diverted to Dusseldorf as Cologne airport was closed due to heavy snow.
    We sat on the plane and waited to hear when the snow had been cleared so that we could continue our journey. However, when we did get the message saying that the Cologne runways were reopened we couldn't take off as Dusseldorf airport was now closed!!
    Again we waited on the plane for the snow to be cleared away but by then we'd lost out take- off slot. Eventually we were herded into the airport to queue for train tickets to take us into Cologne. We arrived at our hotel 6 hours later than planned.:setc_090:
    We unpacked and headed out for a meal only to find ourselves in blizzard conditions. The weather was dreadful the whole time we were there but we were determined to see the sights despite it.
    You know someone could make a fortune if they could come up with windscreen wipers for spectacles.:headbang: Mine were covered in snow and I could barely see where I was going. Duncan walked in front of me the whole time trying to keep the worst of the weather off me - what a considerate son to have.:)
    We 'did' the Christmas markets and went to a Hard Rock café for a meal on the Saturday. It was the only day when the snow let up a bit which was fortunate.
    On the Sunday we decided to visit Cologne zoo - big mistake!!:( By the time we got there the zoo was closed because of - you've guessed it - heavy snow. We were allowed into the aquarium though until they managed to clear pathways so at least we were warm. We did see three camels and four donkeys when we got in but everything else had enough common sense to stay hidden away in the warmth. It was a shame as we'd paid 20 euros each for the zoo tickets but you can't help the weather can you? They had a Japanese 'Festival of Light' show planned for the evening but it was cancelled (snow again :rolleyes:). I did manage to get photographs of the set up though which was impressive even without the lights so it wasn't a total loss.
    We arrived back On Monday around mid day after a two hour stop off in Copenhagen (would you believe because of snowy weather). Ian was at the airport to meet us and so was the white stuff!! Since coming home we've had hard frosts, snow and ice every day.:smt021
    Did I enjoy my week-end? Well having my eldest lad all to myself was really lovely as I don't see as much of him as I'd like. The markets were beautiful all lit up and the Cologne cathedral was really impressive. The snow certainly added a Christmassy atmosphere to everything!! :p
    I'll sort out a selection of photographs soon for you all to see. I just want to get all the Christmas cards written and posted and the last of the gifts for family and friends wrapped so that I know I'm ready for the 25th.

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh dear, that darn snow is EVERYWHERE!! Glad you got some quality time with your son.
    I look forward to your pictures Eileen.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Have you ever seen the 1970 movie The Out of Towners with Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis. It is the first thing I thought of when I started reading your post. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066193/\
    Sorry you had so much trouble just trying to have a nice weekend away with your eldest but very glad you are back home unscathed.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. eileen

I haven't seen "The Out of Towners" Toni and your link doesn't seem to be working but I'll be sure to look it up. The weekend wasn't all bad but it certainly would have been better without the blizzard. :sulk:

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Sorry about the snow, I wondered where you had got to. Glad you are back safe and sound.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Sorry to hear you all were snowed in twice, nice to know you did had some good time there :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Welcome back Eileen.
    Well, what a story...I didn't know whether to laugh or cry for you. hahaha. That snow threw a spanner in the works alright.
    Still....all-in-all, you did have a good time and quite an adventure to share with us.
    I hope that you can get those piccies sorted. Germany is such a lovely land to visit.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. kate

kate In Flower

So glad your back home safe and sound Eileen I hope you were able to enjoy some quality time with family.
    K

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Welcome back Eileen,..you are always badly missed good Moderators are hard to find.

So you had an away adventure in the snow,..i bet it was still enjoyable,..time with Duncan keeping the snow off you as well,..very considerate chap,..its a shame you had to face more snow on your return home,..looking forward to seeing all those images when you get the Christmas Cards sorted out :)

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Oh geez your luck with snow sure doesn't sound good at all BUT getting a son to yourself is pure gold! ;) :) :) This will always make a good story to tell too :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I reckon that was a successful and memorable weekend Eils! Thanks for recalling your trip for us. Has it made you dislike snow now?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. eileen

No not at all Frank. I still prefer snow to heavy rains and gale force winds.

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.