My cabbages from seed have very poor roots.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Don Perry, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

I have raised these cabbage plants from seed in a starter tray. The tomatoes , bush beans, squash and kale all have come on and are ready for transplanting. But the cabbage plants have just fallen over with a very weak stem. Everything was grown under a grow light and the starting soil seems cold to me. I didn't have a heat pad. The heating pad came in the mail today, so I placed the pad under the grow tray and the cabbages in the tray.
    What can I do to make a stronger root system and strengthen the stems?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

cabbage does well in cold soil. I would say start again and make sure you are using sterile potting mix and not soil. don't over water them. let them dry out somewhat between watering them. if they don't have decent roots now I would toss them and not even try nursing them through.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Heat is not needed with Cabbages and other cole crops ! I agree with Carolyn if you are starting from seed ! But why are you starting from seed when the started plants are reasonable and are grown under perfect conditions which we do not have ! I can buy a six pack for $1.99 to $2.99 ! Excellent plants with good roots and stems !
    And you get a six to eight week head start on growth !

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  5. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

Good advice , all. I did buy a 6 pack of cabbages, but I just wanted to raise from seed this year. I think the starter blocks that I used were and are too wet . We try what we can and try to learn along the way. What good is doing it if I don't learn. I'll try again next year, earlier and dryer.
    Thanks to you both.

Advertisement
  6. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

I finally tossed the cabbages from seed. They just never di get a decent root system.

7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Another reason could be that your soil might have been depleted of iron... Because whenever that happens, leafy greens are often the first to suffer, (all other plants later).

Such has been my experience anyway. However, my climate is somewhat an extreme one, (sandy and salty coastal soil,, with hot weather most of the year) - So what may work for me, might not be applicable elsewhere...

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have tried cabbage from seed in years past but they never did well ! Same with other cool season seed !
    So I do not waste time when the started plants are so reasonable !