My Cathedral in Canterbury

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I have just posted a new Blog and had intended to add a video......wrong......can't do that. So, as I had stitched together a few clips I will add them here. To save repetition perhaps you would care to read my blog 'Another visit to Canterbury Cathedral' and the video will then make sense.
    To kick off this is a picture of 'My Cathedral' this morning.
    DSCF4166.JPG
    It is a magnificent gothic structure but needs constant repair and restoration.

Some students from the local 'Kings School' were rehearsing for an upcoming concert and, although not up to the standard of the Cathedral Choristers, it still sounded good in that vast space.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2016
    Jewell, Frank, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That is a really impressive piece of gothic architecture Raddang. I'm so glad it is being well maintained as it would be a shame if it were allowed to fall into disrepair. So many wonderful buildings from that era are crumbling through lack of funds.
    The King's School choir really do sound wonderful with a little help from the acoustics of the cathedral.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Gorgeous. If I could go back in time I'd love to watch workers building cathedrals like Canterbury. I think seeing how they worked and made what they made would be absolutely fascinating.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lovely picture of Cantebury Cathedral,..you captured it as the sun was shining on it,..enjoyed the video as well.

In 2010 i visited Leicestershire England,..my friend asked what in particular did i want to see,..lots of old Church Buildings i replied,..which raised an eyebrow as i am not religious but i love old Churches and the shapes of doors and stonework.

Jewell, Sjoerd, eileen and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Really enjoyed your slideshow Philip. Like you, I am not religious but I do find old churches so interesting. Just look at some of the random blockwork in the walls shown in some of your pictures. But they have still stood for hundreds of years.
    I share Islandlifes comment about how buildings like my Cathedral were built. Some individual stone blocks weigh more than a ton......as IL might say....go figure! ;)
    All thousands of tons of stone for Canterbury Cathedral was brought from France then up the river Stour to Fordwich and from there the 3 miles by cart to the city.
    The port of Fordwich looks like this today.
    20110801 Fordwich Arms Alex 18-13.JPG

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice shot of the Cathedral, Rad. Such a famous place. I think that children in school in many countries in the world had Canterbury Tales as required reading. Folks who have had British history in their curricula know of it as well. It has been a while since I have visited it, but it remains a remarkable place in my memory.

Philip Nulty and Raddang like this.
  7. kate

kate In Flower

That Cathedral reminds me of Belgium.
    A lovely picture Raddang, thank you!
    K

Philip Nulty and Raddang like this.
  8. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

A beautiful picture Raddang!