My chives...what's happening to them?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by tschnath, Aug 7, 2008.

1. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my chives. They have little spots on them, but they don't look like they are being eaten. I'm having a wicked problem with Japanese beetles this year and I've just gotten some traps to put out for them.

In the mean time, the chives don't look like the other plants (eaten, with holes) so I'm not sure what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It looks like Puccinia allii to me.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Is that the same as leek rust Sjoerd?

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes it is, Eileen. Sorry for sounding so esoteric, but I figured that the latin name was the same in all languages.
    Heh heh heh... I had to think for a moment, though. After thinking about it, the translated common name in dutch translates to what you said. :D Sometimes I can be a bit thick.

Advertisement
  6. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

OK, so I tried to look it up and I'm getting nothing...so to speak. What can I do about it? Are they still ok to eat? I've been just cutting around it, but I'd like to fix the problem if it's a problem that can be fixed. Any ideas?

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

If I can catch it early, I just cut off the infected leaves and destroy them. Otherwise I do not combat it and see what happens. Sometimes it develops enough to harvest, but it can weaken the plant and severely hamper the it's development to the point that it can kill it.

If you are not totally an organic gardner, you can use tebuconazole, a chemical fungicise from Bayer under the name of "Horizon EW", I believe.
    You could also use Nativo 75 WG (tebuconazole 50 %, trifloxystrobine 25 %)

Good luck, "T".

8. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Thanks Sjoerd, I try not to use the chemicals because of DD#2 (who's 4) and neighbors children along with pets around. So I'll just wait it out. I remember it happening last year also but it was late in the season so I didn't bother with it at all.

Unfortunately it's been a really busy summer this year and I'm embarressed to say I've neglected my garden too much. Thanks for the info though I wasn't having any luck online.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I get that rust some years on my leeks and usually just remove the leaves and the plants do mature in spite of it.
    I always wonder though if they would have been bigger polants if the rust had not struck.