My Favourite Christmas Treat.

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Bernieh, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

The rain has started falling and it seems as if this year's long dry season is over. I can't work in the garden when the heavens open, so I often have to retreat to the kitchen to do some cooking.

At this time of year, I often whip up a couple of batches of my favourite Christmas treat ... Bernie's Bailey Balls, which is my version of Rum Balls. I've seen similar recipes called 'Whiskey Truffles' or 'Bailey's Truffles', but mine have become known in the family as 'Bernie's Bailey Balls'!

[​IMG]
    Bernie's Bailey's Balls! or Bailey's Truffles. ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

Ingredients
    1 cup (100g) plain sweet biscuit crumbs (I use 'Nice' biscuits - an Aussie biscuit)
    ½ cup coconut
    ½ cup icing sugar mixture (pure icing sugar also works)
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    ¼ cup sultanas, chopped or slivered almonds, crushed (I hate sultanas, so I use the almonds)
    ¼ cup Irish cream liqueur
    1 tablespoon water
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/3 cup of chocolate sprinkles
    1/3 cup coconut, extra

Steps
    Combine biscuit crumbs, coconut, sifted icing sugar, cocoa and sultanas or almonds in bowl. Stir in liqueur, water and honey; mix well.

Roll 2 level teaspoons of mixture into ball; repeat with remaining mixture.

Divide into 2 batches. Roll one batch in chocolate sprinkles and the other in the extra coconut.
    Refrigerate for several hours.

Makes 35 little ones (apparently! ... somehow 35 never seem to make it onto the bowl or dish at my place!)

Special note: This is what the 'Nice' (pronounced like the city in France) biscuits look like for those who might be looking for something similar in their corner of the world.

[​IMG]
    'Nice' biscuits for Bernie's Bailey's Balls ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

Extra note:
    If you don't like alcohol in your treat, you can use evaporated milk or thickened cream.

O.K. now, does anyone else have a favourite Christmas treat that they make every year?

Frank, eileen, stratsmom and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh Yum....That looks good.....

Barb in Pa.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Bernie your recipe is almost the same as the one I use for Christmas!! I add oats (in place of the biscuit crumbs) and condensed milk (instead of the booze.) They're always a firm favourite with our friends and family.

5. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Waretrop, it's very difficult to just make one batch of these.

Eileen, your version sounds just as tempting!

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That recipe is mouth-watering! I remember one year when I was very young, my sis made rum balls and put in too much rum... all the grown-ups loved them! :D

I have a couple of cookie recipes that I used to make every year. And I plan on making at least one of them this year for old-time sake.
    But I've now been given the task of making Pecan Pralines. That was our present every year from mom. No matter where you lived... you could expect to get some.
    Last year was my first time making them. They were okay.... just not nearly as good as her's.
    So I made another batch the other day when one of my brother's was visiting from California. He and my other brother said they thought they were just as good as mom's! WOW!
    So... I think I've got the hang of it now and will be making some more... as soon as I shell more pecans.
    Here's her recipe:

Creamy Pecan Pralines
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup condensed milk
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 cups pecan pieces
    (Next time, I will reduce the amount of pecans down to around 2.5 cups - 3 just seems a bit too much.)

Combine sugars and milks with butter and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring slowly to a full rolling boil over medium heat. Add the pecans and continue boiling until candy reaches the soft ball stage, 234F on the candy thermometer. (Only stir a little bit during this time.) Remove from heat and stir only enough to give a creamy look. Spoon out on wax paper. (Can also spoon them out on a buttered cookie sheet... but wax paper is best.)
    Let stand until completely cooled.

Then make sure you eat a couple before your brothers show up! :D

[​IMG]
    Pecan Pralines ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

7. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Ooh, Cherylad, they do look delicious! I'll have to give your recipe a go as I do so love Pecan nuts. I'll make sure I do some extensive taste-testing before anyone else gets a look in!!!

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I think I need to find me something sweet to eat, those treats look delightful! :D

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lovely Recipes,..and the pictures are very tempting,..just as well that i have just eaten or i would have to head out to buy a bar of chocolate,..great posts,..mouth watering stuff.

10. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

I better go turn my oven on...all these cookies look yummy.