My first little garden.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Silkie, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

I'm sure I'll make some mistakes, but maybe I'll make a few less with some input from you experienced gardeners. I'm so excited over my little plot of veggies.:) I'll also be working on a stone border/wall for them.

So far I hoed until I hit clay, tried to break it up pretty well and added a bag of potting soil. I planted them all the recommended depth on their tags and watered.

I know they'll need to be cleaned, fed and watered. I'd appreciate any tips, because what I've done is really all I know to do.

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You are off to a good start, that's a good looking garden! You are so smart to start small. Many new gardeners plow up two acres, plant, try to keep up with weeds, harvesting, etc. and get very discouraged. It's so much easier to expand than contract.
    Speaking of expanding, I'd hold off on the stone border for now. You may want to enlarge your plot, and moving stones would just be one more job.
    Also, how about some mulch to conserve moisture and keep the soil temperature more even? An added advantage is that as the mulch decomposes, it adds organic matter to the soil. Be sure to stay away from "weed cloth" or "landscape fabric." Ghastly stuff!!!

4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

You may want to put in stakes to support your tomato plants

Henry Johnson, hummerbum and Silkie like this.
  5. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Mulch sounds like a great suggestion, thank you! Would I just put a couple of bags on top? (Not sure how large the bags are!)
    We also have have a couple of big dogs, I'm trying to think of what would deter them from digging and rolling in it. I'm not sure that'll be a problem yet, but I also know our dogs.:p

I'll definitely put in stakes.:) Is it okay to wait or is that something you should do right away?

Thank you very much for you help!

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Silkie, you don't have to buy mulch if you have tree leaves or grass clippings. I try to get at least 3" of mulch around plants, and if I have enough material I make the mulch even deeper. We use grass clippings because we have them.
    Follow Odif's advice about the stakes. I'd put them in now. It's easier to get them closer to the main stem of the tomato when the plant is small, and there is less chance of damaging roots now. This fall when you pull up your spent tomato plants, you'll be amazed at the root mass! We use fence panels (I think it's called hog fencing) for our tomatoes. You don't need to go to that extreme, but make sure the stakes are at least 4' tall and put two stakes per tomato plant, so you can put strips of soft cloth between the stakes to support the tomatoes. Avoid those cute little cages called "tomato cages." They get eaten by any self-respecting tomato plant!
    Can't offer any help with the dogs. They may turn out to be gardeners themselves, and leave the mulch alone!

7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Congrats on your garden...it looks awesome!!

Silkie likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Looks great ! What are you planning to grow. I think I see lettuce there. You can actually plant more of those. I just sprinkle seed and then thin as I pick the greens.The more you pick the outer leaves of the lettuce the more it will produce. It will try to go to seed eventually and need to be pulled up. Its better to plant some now and another planting later for a continuous supply.

Silkie likes this.
  9. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Thank you!:) My hubby said if all my plants died he wouldn't buy me anymore, so it's of the utmost importance I keep everything alive and well.:) I'll definitely pick up some lettuce seed too then. I started with a dozen plants, 2 lettuce, 2 bell pepper and 8 tomatoes of two varieties. Never having grown anything, I don't know how big everything gets or it's life cycle!
    That makes sense about the tomato plants, I will get some stakes within the next few days for them.
    I don't have any clippings at the moment, I'd have plenty the next time we mow though!

Frank likes this.
  10. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

If you have a Lowe's nearby they sell some black or silver plastic fencing that is 3 feet tall or so, I use it around one of my gardens to keep my dogs and chickens out.
    +1 on the mulch,...leaves, grass clippings, hay, etc..

this is one of my gardens earlier this spring, I use hay, wood chips, leaves, etc...for mulch
    [​IMG]

hummerbum, Odif, Silkie and 2 others like this.
  11. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Very cool! Fencing sounds easier, I'll have to take a look at lowes and see what we can do.:) I'll get some sort of mulch and post an updated pic soon. Thanks so much for the help!

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well, I bet we have most any seed you will need ! And be happy to send them to you.

2ofus and DeepWoods like this.