My Flax Sweater

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by xantedeschia, Jul 3, 2018.

1. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

Hi Everyone,

I just finished this sweater on the First of July after ten months of knitting. It is my first sweater. The pattern is the Flax Sweater by Tin Can Knits and I made mine using Knit Picks - Wool of the Andes yarn in the colorway Winter Night.

I'm really looking forward to knitting the next sweater. However, I am going to time it better so that I, or the person I make the sweater for, won't have to try it on in 95F heat like I did with this first one. :cool:

[​IMG]
    Mir Ist Kalt - 1 July 2018 ( photo / image / picture from xantedeschia's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Modeling Flax Sweater - 1 July 2018 ( photo / image / picture from xantedeschia's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks great and the color looks good on you...but then I am partial to bright blues. I love buying yarn from KnitPicks too.
    I have a couple of top down sweater patterns that I want to try out...I hate sewing the pieces together they just never look good when I do it. :eek:

xantedeschia likes this.
  4. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

Thanks! Yeah, sewing isn't my strength either. I learned how to do a bit of it in school but not enough to make a sweater look good. When I saw that Tin Can Knits had more than one seamless sweaters/cardigans, I knew I wanted to try their patterns out. I'm glad I did. This knit was a lot of fun.

I do plan on increasing my sewing skills for the thrill of the challenge but I'm not racing toward it unless it involves the sewing machine that I can never seem to catch on sale.

Knit Picks is awesome! Since giving up superwash and nylon yarn, they've been my go-to place for yarn. I'm also going to get some of their bare for dyeing.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love the colour!! It's been a while since I last knitted anything but after seeing your photographs I may give it a try again this winter.

xantedeschia likes this.

Advertisement
  6. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

Thank you!

Cool! What patterns are you thinking of knitting?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

well done. it is a beautiful color and I agree... it looks good on you. I don't knit or crochet and am always impressed with the projects other people make.

xantedeschia likes this.
  8. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

Thanks! :)

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

I would be pulling my hair out after the first 5 minutes ! But yours looks great !

xantedeschia likes this.
  10. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

A lot of sweater patterns scare me due to them being piece together or bottom-up construction. This one didn't. It was seamless. I did it all either in the round and/or by picking up stitches to continue the sleeves.

I have four socks I'm knitting that give me a lot more trouble. :crying:

11. toni

I started making only tube socks after having so much trouble with the heal. You can start at the top working your way down in k1, P1 or K2, P2 ribbing all the way down the tube, then decrease stitches to create the toe and you do not have to worry about making the sock fit the foot, tube socks are very forgiving in that regard. Much easier.

xantedeschia likes this.
  12. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

My issue is the tangling of the yarns from the skeins/cakes/balls. It's bad enough with two socks at the same time. It is an absolute nightmare with four at once.

I've never tried k* p* socks before. I'm going to give them a go. It sounds like an interesting pattern to try. :)

13. toni

I have never tried two or more at a time, not sure my nerves could handle that. I'll stick to one at a time.o_O

The K and P stitch is a rib stitch...the kind you see at the bottom of sweaters or on sleeve cuffs. Very simple, you can do all sorts of combinations in the number of knit and purl stitches. You have to play with the number of cast-ons since the rib stitch makes a tighter fabric than a regular stockinette stitch.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    xantedeschia likes this.
  14. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

I have this great book called Cast On, Bind Off by Cap Sease. It's got over two hundred different combined methods for starting and ending knitted fabrics.

Normally, I do two socks at a time. I'm just doing four as a challenge. Multiple socks at once aren't too hard apart from the tangles. Though the set up takes some getting used to. With two socks, it is just a matter of switching the skeins/cakes/balls places as you knit. More socks is a more creative enterprise. If combined with the K1p1 socks, it could be a sock machine knitting factory process and they'd all be relatively even without counting the rounds. There are videos on the VeryPinkKnits YouTube channel that demonstrate it. They are called:

2 Socks at-a-time on 2 Circulars
    2 Socks at-a-Time, Magic Loop
    Two Socks at-a-Time, Toe-Up, Magic Loop