My Giant Coleus

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by TheTitan, Oct 31, 2006.

1. TheTitan

TheTitan New Seed

Hello everyone, my name is Phillip.

My question is about my coleus. It is just a standard maroon and green coleus that i grew from seeds i bought at Lowes. However it is enormous, like i think it is the biggest i've ever seen. I have seen the size of the Coleus Kongs, but mine is twice as tall and the leaves are at least twice as big. I'm a 6'6" man with large hands, and even with my fingers spread out as wide as i can the leaves will still completely cover up my hand. Has anyone ever seen anything like this??? Please help, maybe i could get in the book of world records of something. :)

2. Loading...

3. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Hi Phillip and welcome from New Orleans. We have many experts here who would be happy to see your coleus. Do you have a picture of it, by any chance?

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Another Louisiana welcome. We would love to see a pic. I'll bet it is awesome.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome Phillip from Scotland. A photograph would be wonderful and getting to know you better would be too. :-D

Advertisement
  6. TheTitan

TheTitan New Seed

Picture

I'll try to get a picture up as soon as i can. I don't have a digital camera that has high enough quality pics to be of any use at my home. Also my coleus started to droop as it usually does when it needs water, but this time watering didn't help. Upon inspecting the soil i found very very tiny brown specks crawling around. Their were hundreds of them! Any ways i bought a pesticide/fungicide and have since tried to treat it. I also have transplanted it to a larger pot because the main stem started to lean and pull up some soil. I don't know what else to do.
    I have been pinching off the flower spikes to try to overwinter it, but since the problem has started i have been tempted to let them grow so it can complete its life cycle and expire. However, i have a few people who want someone with some "plant expertise" to look at it before it dies, and it has become as beloved as my dog and cats around my house. For some reason, out of all of my plants, we all love it most. :)
    About my self now... I'm 23 and i live in College Station, TX. I am going to Blinn College to become a Physical Therapist Assistant. I am also a non-active duty Marine. I am a former junior and amature bodybuilder and currently juggle my gardening between my college job at a health store (30 hrs. a week), my school (so stressful), my gym time(i still go 6 times a week), and training for ultimate fighting or cage fights (i train brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay thai kickboxing). Well that is about it. I'll try to have a pic up soon!

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

You could root some cutting from your coleus. They are very easy to root. Pinch about a six inch piece, pull the leaves off of the bottom two thirds, and place it in a glass of water. When you see roots plant it in a small pot and repot as the roots fill the pot. You may need to change the water every 3 or 4 days, especially if it becomes cloudy. Or you could do the same and use rooting hormone and place it in a pot of soil. That way your plant would live on.