My heart dog

Discussion in 'Pets' started by muddybob, Jan 9, 2007.

1. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

[​IMG]

This is Hester. She was a Border Collie Australian Cattle Dog mix. I was not planning on getting a dog that day all those years ago but a little voice kept urging me to the shelter. I knew she was the reason for me being there the instant I saw her. The shelter people said they wanted to put her to sleep because she was not socialized but I talked them into letting her come with me. The second week I had her she chased an intruder from my home and down the road.
    She got degenerative joint disease in later years and she lost the use of her hind limbs. I had a special cart made for her. You can see it in the photo. The builder of the cart warned me that dogs need time to adjust to being mobile again. Not my girl. We put her in it and ended up chasing after her because she bolted across the parking lot.
    I have tons of stories about her because she was a very, very remarkable dog. Intelligent, fierce and devoted to me.
    I will always remember the day we had to say good-bye.
    RIP pretty girl 1988-2002

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Sorry to hear you lost Hester Muddy. I can tell you were very close to her. And with a doggy smile like that who could blame you. That's a special photo of her.

Thanks for sharing.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh so glad you made life great for her.She looks like she was a joy to behold.

5. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

She was lucky to have you and you were lucky to have her and that is what makes the world go round

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Please tell us some of the stories about Hester Muddy. I, for one, would love to hear them.
    You know when I went to the animal shelter with Ian one day years ago, we went to look for a small dog. We came away with Blue a big, old yellow labrador. He was supposed to be intrainable and a renagade but that wasn't the case at all. He'd just been misunderstood. With the right handling and a lot of love he became not only my best friend but my constant companion. I know how much you must miss Hester because I still miss Blue so much.
    You obviously gave Hester a happy life right up to the end. She certainly looks happy and full of fun in your photograph. :-D

7. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

I'll bet Hester knew you were her heart human from the moment she saw you, Muddy.

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

She was a beauty Muddy. God often blesses us with a remarkable animal when we least expect it. Thank you for giving her that second chance, I can tell you were blessed because of it.

9. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

She sounds like one of those very special pets, the ones we will never forget. I'm glad she had you in her life to love her, and that she loved you back.