My Maine Coon Cat

Discussion in 'Pets' started by drissel122, Jan 25, 2010.

1. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

[​IMG]
    Rusty ( photo / image / picture from drissel122's Garden )

This is Rusty, my Maine Coon Cat. He is a BIG boy. At his last visit to the vet a few months ago he weighed in at 18 pounds and my husband and I are sure he has gained a bit. He is very shy and I was wondering if anyone else with a similar breed has noticed the same personality trait, and is it normal for these cats to get this large? I have heard they are a large breed, but how big can they get? No one who visits ever sees him as he hides if he hears a footfall on the stoop or a doorbell. I love his big fluffy feet.

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh Rusty certainly is a BIG cat isn't he? He looks very handsome though and certainly knows how to relax. :-D

3. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

Yes Eileen, Relaxing is Rusty's life, unless the food dish is empty and then he hunts me down. He also loves getting brushed and purrs very loudly when I cut away the knots he gets. He is a great cat. He has a brother cat, a gray short-hair who he pretends to hate, but secretly plays with when no one is looking.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    He looks like a big lover. I've always thought the Maine coon cats would be a great pet. :)

Advertisement
  5. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

He looks like a sweet boy. How old is Rusty?
    I noticed on your profile you live in NJ. I am a former Jersey girl, I grew up in Point Pleasant. All my family is still there.

6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love the Maine Coon cats my daughter has one and he is never shy but the most lovable fellow you want to be near he love everyone and even the new dog Sammie.Yes they are all big.His name is Buddy and he loves kids and babies too.

This is Buddy and Maggie the calico.
    [​IMG]
    Buddy and Maggie ( photo / image / picture from glendann's Garden )

This is my Grandson Trey with Buddy.

[​IMG]
    Trey and Buddy ( photo / image / picture from glendann's Garden )

7. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

Jewel, he is a great pet. Very gentle and loving...just a bit shy. Thanks for the pics Glendann, very pretty cats and a sweet grandson. Gail I live in southern New Jersey, between Philadelphia and Atlantic City. I've never been to Point Pleasant but my future daughter-in-law plays in Volleyball Tournaments there so perhaps, one day, I'll be able to see the town.

8. glendann

drissel,I failed to tell you Buddy weighed 18 lbs when he had his checkup at the vets.This must be near the weight the male carries.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Awww, such a handsome cat! My very best gardening friend has an orange Maine Coon, and he's very shy around strangers, no matter how often we visit. But he's very loving around his family. He's also got a "brother" that he loves to bits, also orange, very talkative and social around anybody, but he's a house mix of some sort.

I've secretly dreamed of owning a Main Coon, I find them very attractive, but they're just too expensive here.

10. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

Thanks so much Glendann, sometimes I am afraid I feed him too much. I knew the breed runs large, but wasn't sure how large.

They are wonderful Droopy, I hope you get one someday

moderator's note: removed double posting see point 3.6 of usage rules

11. glendann

Buddy was in the pound for adoption.Someone passed away and knowone wanted him so they gave him up to SPCA. he chose Heather.She fell in love with him.

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Rusty is a very handsome boy, Drissel. I have never met a Maine coon cat. I have a big boy cat too -- don't you just love to hug them!!! I think Ausitn is about 16 lbs, a brown tabby... I worry that I am feeding him too much too. I figure if I can feel his ribs, it's OK? I don't know! I have a little old lady cat too -- Missy is 15 and 5 lbs!! Not a fan of Austin, I might add.

Buddy and Maggie are cuties too, Glenda. And yor grandboy!

13. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

It's hard to just have one cat...isn't it?

14. Sprout

Sprout New Seed

I have a grey Maine Coon cat who weighs in at about 17 pounds. I found him in the local shelter. He loves all of the other cats. He'll chase and play with them whether they want him to or not.

I recently adopted a shorthair tabby stray who's a huge boy, too, about as big as my Maine Coon. Since he has four white paws, I named him Mittens. Yeah, real original, I know.

15. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

I like the name Mittens...we once had a buff colored cat and of course...had to name him Buffy...even though it was a girly name for a cat.