My Maryland snow saga continues...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by daisybeans, Feb 8, 2010.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Wow, what a weekend we have had! The Mid Atlantic region has been socked in with a very large snowstorm. We here topped out at about 27 inches, and 30 inches one county over. But what is 3 more inches at that point....??? I was lucky that I didn't lose power at any point. My cousin was out for 8 hours, and another friend for 24. Quite a dramatic snow lasting more than 24 hours, even with thunder and lightning at one point. Austin, Missy and I were snug in the house.... I have an amaryllis and a geranium in bloom... quite the contrast to the ever-deepening snow outside. By the end of it, Austin and I were both itching to get out of here!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

[​IMG]

Let me tell you, I was scratching my head when this is what I saw from the porch... Where to even begin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where is the path???

[​IMG]

Soooo... as the snow was winding down, the neighbors and I began the big dig.... This is through the front door, which, by the way, I could not open. Snow had blown and drifted deeper than the depth of two steps.

[​IMG]

I started out the back and just began... I tried not to look forward too much because that path looked very long.... the snow was deeper than my knees!!

A word about Austin.... He is a snow cat. He LOVED being outside and did the happy cat dance as I shoveled. He was very good company.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About every 30 or 45 minutes he would let me know he wanted to go in. He would warm up his little paws and ears for 5 or 10 minutes and then back out he would come, frolicking and having a ball.... it was really funny.

The shoveling went on for quite a while... I took breaks to take pictures and cuddle Austin. It was very cold. The snow had not quite stopped falling but I kind of enjoyed the work. We gardeners are used to that kind of movement and it was nice being outside. I had on plenty of the right clothing so I was warm and dry.

[​IMG]

There is a car in there somewhere....

[​IMG]

Others were out shoveling too, so it wasn't lonely at all....

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the spot where my veggie plot will be this summer.... And to think, last weekend, I was thinking about starting some cold frames there!!! Hahahahaha!!!

[​IMG]

Finally around 5 pm the storm finished up, the clouds rolled out and there was a bit of color in the sky. Oh my! That was soooo nice to see....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Austin and I continued to make progress until it got dark and I got tired and hungry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My trail reminded me of a Habitrail -- you know, those tunnels that you can buy for hamsters?

[​IMG]

Before ending, I had finished my trail from the house to the driveway and around the car.... I still faced two feet of snow atop the car... and the driveway behind the car out to the street. But I was exhausted. Energized, but exhausted. The rest would have to wait for tomorrow...

I so wanted to make a snow angel for Gail.... but this was the best I could do!

[​IMG]

Austin and I were ready to go in and have some warm stew for dinner!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whew. What a day!

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Wow, y'all had quite a day. I like the Amaryllis with the snow outside the window and how your cat seems to be mystified at the amount of snow. I have family that live there in Maryland, somewhere around Georgetown I think. I think their kids are loving it while the parents have to do all the work of keeping the snow off the driveway and such. The pic of where you dug a trench in your yard is really cool (excuse the pun) to me cause it shows how deep the snow really is. I personally have never seen so much snow cause we live here in Georgia and the most we ever get is about 4-5" inches. I would probably be having a blast playing it your snow cause I get excited at 1" inch. :p

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

What lovely photos, and such a nice tale to go with them. I was right there alongside you, shoveling, breathing and playing with the cat. :D Austin looks like he's having a good time despite the cold. I love your snow angel. Very different from the ones I make. I usually throw myself backwards onto the snow and wave arms and legs about, but then I'm a very playful granny. Or half-mad, whatever. :D

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Well, Jon.... you'd have been almost 30 times as excited about this snow! I get excited too. You'd have a ball!

Droopy -- I knew if I tried to make a traditional snow angel, I would not be able to get up out of that 27 inches without help! It would have tumbled over me and buried me! Which sounds like some fun, now doesn't it?

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hope you took a nice, hot bath after all that digging Daisy and aren't too sore tomorrow. Austin really looks as though snow is one of his favourite things doesn't he? The cats around here are wimps compared to him as they stay inside when we have deep snow. Those sunsets are gorgeous!!! :D

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh my gosh .I'm so glad to be in Texas.

8. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Great job on the snow angel. :smt051 Enjoyed all the photos, particularly the beautiful sky against the backdrop of snow. Austin looks like he really enjoyed himself. The photo of the amarylis is also one of my favorites. The stew looks yummy and well deserved after a day of shoveling. Thanks for sharing.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My oh my, oh my....What a saga, what an epic.

I thoroughly enjoyed the fotos and narration. It was fun to see the progress and the participants.
    The flowers, the snow, the cat, the stew and the angels.
    The beauty and drama...I'm telling you Daisy, it was a show fit for the silver screen with all it's elements, and you laid it all out so well.

I sure liked the looks of that stew, I tell you...and I would have made quick work of that...and then the soul-warming quality of the last sunset image. Perfect.

Well done, you.

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Epic, you're not kidding Sjoerd. And I just saw the forecast.... the storm coming in tomorrow seriously has 12 -20 additional inches of snow for us... So I'll get to do it all again.

Eileen, Surprisingly I felt great even after all that digging. A little sore but no worse than a day of heavy gardening. I think the trick was to wear clothes that kept all of my joints warm and dry. I was careful too, not to overdo it or lift too heavy a shovel.

Glenda, yeah... Texas weather sounds good right about now.

And Gail, I was thinking of you when I made that angel.

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wonderful photos Daisybeans! I've never seen a cat that likes the snow! My dog acts the same way when we get deep snow :)

12. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Austin looks like he was getting in touch with his inner cougar. We have family in that area, Baltimore and Alexandra, the pictures they have sent look just like the ones you have shared.
    I loved the sunset, and your narrative.
    Good luck Daisybeans!

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

How much more snow have you received DB? I hope you still have power. Do you have a fireplace? Let us know how you are doing.

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thank you for looking in on me Gaylyn!!!

It would have been hard for me to imagine a storm of this magnitude here in Maryland... It is like a hurricane with massive amounts of snow.

It started snowing more than 24 hours ago and has been snowing heavily and blowing hard since the early hours of the a.m. Blizzard status. In fact, mid-day the storm warning was upgraded to an "extremely dangerous weather" warning. I'd never heard of that. At one point this afternoon, they even put the snow removal crews on stand-down because visibility was so poor, they felt it was too dangerous for them to be moving about. They couldn't tell, for example, if there would be a stranded car in their path...

I can't judge how much snow has actually fallen because the wind has blown it in high drifts everywhere. The forecasters say the expected amount has been upgraded to 20-30 inches for my area. My habitrails are almost completely filled in. I will be practically starting over with them tomorrow....

This is apparently two storms, one from the west and one from the south, colliding -- and if you ask me, the point of impact was right over our heads!

The weather forecast update at 3 p.m. said that one of the storms is stalling so heavy snow and wind is expected to continue until 8:30 or 9 p.m. (that is an amazing 3.5 to 4 more hours...) and then taper off by morning. They will reevaluate at 5 p.m. and I hope it will be good news.

Happily, I have had no problems with power outages though other nearby areas have lost power. I feel extremely fortunate. I have ventured out into the yard (Austin too... nothing seems to intimidate him out there...) and it doesn't look as if anything has been badly damaged on my property or my neighbors. I couldn't go too far -- it is as deep as my thighs in the habitrails and up to my hips anywhere else. I'm not kidding! I know it sounds too dramatic to be true!

I am not too concerned about the weight of the snow on the roof but I continue to be worried about that huge cracked tree in my neighbor's yard that is hanging over the garage... If it makes it through, I will know my guardian angel is truly present.

It's incredibly surreal, if you ask me! Here are a few quick snapshots, though they really doesn't do the intensity any justice at all!!

[​IMG]
    about 3 p.m. ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Main road... ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The path to the mailbox... Path? What path? ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Maryland State flag... ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

[​IMG]

I know you're not supposed to fly the US flag in weather (it's my neighbor's) but let me tell you, it's been a good reminder that this is the "home of the brave!" It's been a wild ride! Beautiful, energizing, amazing... and wild.

Hope anyone else under this storm is doing well.

More tomorrow!

15. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

WOW...That's a lot of snow. I love the photo with the flag. I have been watching the coverage of the storm on the news. I just heard that MD has received 74" this winter...a new record...and its still coming down. Your winter wonderland has turned into a very serious situation with this additional snow. NJ is getting quite a bit but not like Maryland & Philadelphia! Good thing you stocked up on food and wine. I hope you got a couple of cases :D .

I am glad you posted I was worried about you. Thought maybe you lost power. I heard 20+ roofs have collapsed in VA.

Please keep us updated and don't overdo when you are out there shoveling.

16. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This is where I will be tomorrow.

Can you imagine?

I think we are going to have snow on the ground until mid March.

[​IMG]
    oh dear. ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

They just extended the blizzard warning until midnight.

But, it's warm and cozy in here now so I think I will settle in for some television... and more food. My goodness, I have been eating everything in sight!