My New Mobile Phone.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, May 10, 2021.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Let me say straight away, I'm not into "smart" phones. (any phone for which you can pay £1,000 I don't consider being "smart"), But as they say, "each to their own."

I've had a basic "Sendo" mobile for over fifteen years and a "half brick" before that. The only "additional feature" is that you can send a text. I never have. I accept mobiles can be necessary, you sometimes have to have a mobile number, say for if you're buying something on-line using Paypal. If it's around £100 they'll send you a security code to your mobile you have to punch into the website you're buying from. I had to do that a couple of weeks ago when I bought a new golf bag.
    I just keep my phone in the ashtray of my car for emergencies and to check if my wife needs any "justgetmes" before I leave the carpark after playing golf. "My lifestyle isn't hectic or important enough to demand the possession of a smart phone."

Anyway, one evening last week the landline went down around 9.00pm. although the TV and the internet were unaffected. My wife was a bit concerned, so I said I'd phone Virgin on my mobile. What a pain that was, using this little phone with a small screen, and smaller keys, "in the dark," (we've lots of lights in this house but they've all got dark shades). I got through to "a robot called Press Four" or something similar, who told me the phones would be back in a couple of hours.
    So no big deal.

So I decided I'd get a more manageable phone. My wife said there was one on her shopping channel, so I ordered it.

Here are the two phones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The keys are of a more manageable size, it has lots of features including a camera, none of which I will likely use. It comes with a charger "stand" like most phones and earphones.

I swopped the sim card and fortunately had a spare memory card from a defunct dash/cam which I'd replaced as one wasn't supplied with the phone.
    So I was up and running with emergency numbers programmed in, within minutes of it arriving. Like a lot of stuff, there's some internet access so it updated the date and time itself.

I think it cost forty-three quid.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Cayuga Morning, S-H and Logan like this.
  2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

My uncle also recently upgraded his phone. He isn't big on texting, and doesnt like technology taking over our lives.
    I'm the opposite, I love my phone. I hate calling people, but I love having the internet and mobile games whenever and wherever I am. I am constantly taking pics of my cats and my garden and sharing them.

Logan likes this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I've got a smart phone only because I like to use it to go on the forums and take lots of pics. It's my second one, the first one I had for 5 years it would have been alright but the battery wouldn't charge anymore and it's best to get a new phone instead of trying to replace the battery. I don't use it much for phoning i like to use the landline one but it's good for when I'm walking the boys. The prices are variable but wouldn't pay £1000 mine was about £500. hubby has the same.

5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

My current phone I've had for just a few months. I wanted more memory. It only cost about $150

Logan likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

My laptop is all I need, mostly for information, I'm not into "gaming" I think it's a total waste of time, as it's unproductive.

I use e-mail a lot rather than a phone. I can send a message at a time I choose and the recipient can read it when they choose and vice-versa. For me a carrying a phone everywhere with me would mske me feel like a "tagged criminal."

Even when using my laptop, I'm watching TV over the top of it, or listening to music on my vintage hi-fi and jukebox wall boxes.

Logan likes this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't have a mobile 'phone and really don't see that I will ever have a need for one. The house 'phone and the internet are my ways of communicating.

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I haven't bothered upgrading since I got this, (see link below). The only reason why I change a smartphone, is when the battery starts loosing it's charge. And the mobility of a mobile phone gets compromised - Otherwise I really don't need to.

The entire story of me and smartphones, I shared with everyone here, in 2017.

https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/the-ultimate-book-case-for-a-smartphone.39239/

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Logan likes this.