My new prototype planter box.... now with wheels...

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by MountainGuardian, Sep 27, 2014.

1. MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian New Seed

I want to do some fairly big planter boxes in the new plant room and upstairs in the house, but I wanted to be able to move the easily. So I built a quick prototype today to see how it might work... Quite happy with it thus far...

[​IMG]

This holds about ten cubic feet of soil.....

[​IMG]

I got both of my wife's avocado trees planted in here, my pregnant onion plants, some kalanchoe, a jade tree, two small aloe's and a medium one, and small ivy plant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to make another 15 of them or so.....

Frank, Jerry Sullivan and purpleinopp like this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like the idea of planters on wheels. :-D I would have some in the garden so that I could move them around and save having an aching back. I have to either drag them or empty them and lift them at the moment. :( Good luck with building another fifteen of them.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's going to save your back a lot of stress MountainGuardian. Keep us updated on the progress of the other fifteen!

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Fifteen more? Wowsers! I like the idea of the wheels.
    Did you line the box with something?

Advertisement
  5. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

You are building a veritable Ark for your plants!
    You must have a very large room(s) to hold 15 of those wonderful planters. Wondering how you deal with the watering, do you keep trays underneath to catch the water?

6. MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian New Seed

The inside is lined with tarp to within 3 inches of the top, this helps to keep water from leaking out the sides or out the bottom.

This much soil makes watering much easier, it is much harder to overwater, and under watering a few times will make little difference either. I watered five gallons into it last night, and will likely water another five gallons tomorrow and maybe next week until I get the moisture spread throughout the soil.

As for room, yeas we have some pretty large rooms, upstairs we have vaulted ceilings as we do here in the living room and the one main room is 20ft x 30 ft and the smaller main room is 16 x 24. Both rooms are full of windows and get great light. The kids bedrooms are beside and above these rooms. Then the new plant room is 10 x 24. All of our floors are hardwood floors so with wheels these should be easy to move around and organize. I would like to put four in each main room up stairs and another 7 in plant room.

This would be a back saver, but mostly it is for the wife, she is paraplegic and it is tough for her to participate in a lot of the plant care and whatnot from her wheelchair. These boxes are the right height and I can move them to the middle of a room and she can get all the way around and work with her plants that way. It is tough for her to get around a garden or even the yard to do plants outside so I am bringing the plants to her. She enjoys plants as much as I do and it bothers her to have to have me do everything for her with the plants.

She has been in a nursing home since the end of May, we are hoping she will by back by Christmas or the beginning of January, so I want to have everything setup so she can go nuts in here.

As for building 15 of them, not a real trick, it took about 2 hours to build this one. I used the cutoff ends of the rafters for the new plant room, I milled all the wood 16 ft 6 inches and then had to cut all the rafters down to 12 ft so I had a lot of these laying around. To build another fifteen is just running a couple more logs onto the mill cutting the wood and a few days of slapping them together. I will have to remember to buy another box of nails, I have about 4 pounds of nails left in my 50# box.

Frank and 2ofus like this.
  7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those planter boxes are extra special now that we know that they are for you wife. That's awesome! :stew2:

purpleinopp likes this.
  8. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Kudos to you sir! That is just a supper job. Best wishes for all your endeavors.

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That does make them extra special and I'm sure they will be much appreciated.