My next adventure!! **pics

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I'm going whitewater kayaking! WooHoo!!! :setc_005::sete_056:

Here's the link to where we're going: http://www.broadriveroutpost.com

I'm driving to Atlanta today from Nashville, to meet up with a couple of my friends who live there...Jess, her husband Nate, and my other friend Ann. Mary and Kelley are driving/flying in from Florida and Texas, and we'll all head out early tomorrow morning. I am SO excited!!! I've wanted to do this my whole life!

We'll be on the water 4 or 5 hours, and then we'll all head back to Jess and Nate's house for dinner which we'll all prepare together...Jess has talked about making some sort of gourmet chicken casserole and Ann will bring some stuff broccoli from her CSA box that she can roast, and salad fixings, along with some homemade red wine vinegar for salad dressing and a very sinful, but gluten-free, Nutella chocolate torte. YUM!!! I made a huge batch of praline sauce a few weeks back, and froze it into individual containers so I'll bring that along, one for each of the folks, and we'll likely use that to drizzle over the chocolate torte which will be topped with vanilla ice cream. And we'll also be drinking copious amounts of wine as we prep, so things will surely get lively!! ;)

Huh...why am I talking more about the food than the adventure??? o_O

I will, of course, post pictures, as is my habit! :heart:

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can hardly wait to see what your day is like Ronni. More people should take a leaf out of your book and go on adventures like this. After all we only have one life so why not enjoy it to the full.

Philip Nulty and Ronni like this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

image.jpeg

Thanks Eileen.

I'm here!! We all stayed up ridiculously late drinking wine and catching up. I'm up this morning before everyone else, chatting with Ed over the computer, coffee in hand and catching up on my various media before we head out.

Here's some of us. Jess, the one in front holding her daughter Morgan, is who I'm staying with.

More later!!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Philip Nulty, eileen and 2ofus like this.
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Pics, as promised.

Here we are ready to get wet! From L to R....Kelley, Ann, Jess, me, and Jess' daughter Morgan in front.
    [​IMG]

Chatting with Jess about the technique of running the rapids.
    [​IMG]

We were driven by bus to the put in, which is where we picked up the kayaks and launched them into the water, allowing us to run the river back to the take out where we originally signed up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A water and snack break, and then another food and hydration break, and a few minutes of playtime for Morgan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's so gorgeous....and so deceptive! Some of the waterfalls and drops look really easy and benign....right up until you're running them, then yeow!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jess also shot some Go-Pro footage! Hopefully she'll get that uploaded and edited soon and I can share that too. It was a wonderful time. So very much fun. I'm checking out more kayaking for here, because I have several friends who've already said they want to do that too!

Meanwhile I'm scoping out my next adventure. What'll it be, I wonder? Any suggestions? ;)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

I loved you photographs Ronni. That looks like it really was a lot of fun.:headbang: I hope you didn't have too many aches and pains after all that paddling though.
    Any ideas forming yet on just what you fancy doing next? May I suggest - wrestling crocodiles, Base Jumping, Wing walking or maybe even bull running???? :rofl: :rofl:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

What great ideas Eileen!! :D Maybe I can combine BASE jumping and wing walking, and jump from a structure directly onto the wings of a plane? o_O;) Which will then fly me to Spain where I can run with the bulls!

I am actually very surprised and gratified that I'm not sore. I keep in shape, lift a little, and I guess that helped because none of my upper body muscles hurt at all, unlike my friends (all younger than me I might add) who woke up next morning in various stages of aches and pains, and by Monday (the second day is always worse) they were miserable! I am so glad I dodged that bullet!

I have several friends here who're sorry they missed out, so I'm researching another kayaking adventure close to home so we can do it together. There's also white water rafting which is a bit different. The "rafts" hold a number of people, (6 - 10 depending on the raft) and a guide, rather than being single person craft, and so they travel and navigate somewhat differently. While I'm doing research on that, I'm putting together a fun afternoon for a bunch of us....lunch and laser tag. :nerdy: Though I've had a couple requests for paintball rather than laser tag, so we'll have to see. Maybe we'll do both! The BASE jumping and wing walking will have to wait. ;)

I've always wanted to do parkour though.....................

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. eileen

Parkour!! Now that's something you have to be ouber flexible for as well as having loads of stamina.:smt119 One misjudgement and you could be viewing those pearly gates. :setf_049: Suddenly my suggestions seem a tad tame!! Paintballing or laser tagging seem like much safer options at least for the time being. :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Great photos Ronni....it sounds like you had a great time and soooooooooooo much fun. The scenery is great!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yeah.....no, I don't think I'm much of a parkour gal. ;) I have a friend whose son does it, and MAN is he fit! He has these ropy, sinewy muscles all over and not an ounce of fat on him anywhere. I mean, I'm fit for my age, but I just do NOT have a parkour body anymore...haven't had since my early twenties I don't think.

I do want to go parasailing, or hang gliding. Can't find anywhere locally though which is a bummer. I'd rather not have a several hour commute to get to wherever. There's also a rock climbing place close by...Climb Nashville. An indoor rock climbing facility...just one more thing to add to the list....doesn't this look like fun??? :D 1435255953888.jpeg

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. eileen

Oh yes it does!! :smt045 My daughter did a whole lot of rock climbing, both indoors and out, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. She used to go gorge walking too. Somehow I don't think she got her pioneering spirit from me though. :smt085

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Looks like you really like the outdoors Ronnie,..great pictures and scenes,..next adventure,..how about Kiteboarding,..very refreshing and exciting.
    ? 4:53