My plant is saying "I'M SUFFOCATING!!!"

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Ronni, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

This is one of the plants that I brought in from the porch to overwinter in the house. It's been sitting on a low bookshelf in front of the bedroom window, doing very well. I had asked you at the end of the season last year if you thought it would be appropriate to split the plant. I figured I'd do that this spring when it was warmer and I could do it outside so the mess isn't all spread out around the kitchen sink and on the counter.

I guess my plant has other ideas. It is clearly NOT happy about being confined to that pot! :eek:

[​IMG]

Jewell, FloraPie and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh I've heard of bursting out at the seams but that's even more extreme. I think it's about time it had a new home before it goes looking for one by itself.;)

FloraPie and Kay like this.
  4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Time for a new pot. I'm thinkin! :smt042

5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

WOW - that is one determined plant! Guess it is hinting that it wants a new home ;)

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

It's going to be a very messy project to get the plant divided and into new pots, and because of that I really need to do it outside. But it's been either very cold here, or very wet, or both, so I've had to bide my time waiting for slightly better outside conditions. Plus the plant is at Ed's and I'm not there every day, so add waiting for the right weather conditions when I'm actually there! I'll be at his house this weekend, but it's supposed to storm all weekend. Argh!

The plant seems to be fine, even though the pot looks like that. Nothing has changed in the way it's been flourishing, so I'm guessing it can wait just a bit longer. Fingers crossed! :like:

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

So it turned out to be a gorgeous day yesterday! Mild, sunny, felt more like spring than the middle of winter!!

I took the opportunity to divide the plant that burst its pot! I was able to do it outside on the grass, so there was a minimum of mess to actually clean up. It kinda broke apart naturally, so I didn't have to do much to separate the various bulbs. It broke into two larger ones and a smaller one. So I re-planted them just that way. I had to bring them back inside though. Even though it was such a gorgeous day yesterday and today's supposed to be similar, we're still in winter so there was no leaving them outside...it might still freeze before we're done.

Here's the plant freed from its pot, and then the way it just sort of broke naturally after a bit of coaxing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then all potted up!
    [​IMG]

They're sitting in front of various sunny windows inside. I put a little compost in the bottom of the pots, and watered them well with just a hint of plant food in the water. Is there anything else I need to go to give them their best shot at a full recovery?

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It looks as though you've actually got, at least, 5 plants there Ronni. In time you'll have to divide them again but, for now, they're all looking good and have a while to go before bursting out of their pots again. A job well done!! :smt023

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well shoot Eileen! Was I supposed to divide them each into individual containers? :eek: When I bought the plant there were already a bunch of bulbs in the one pot. It never even occurred to me to separate them out one to a pot. And I have no freaking clue where I'd put that many pots anyway! I struggled to find places for the three I made.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It (they) look much happier now!
    I need to re-pot a lot of my indoor plants too. I will probably just cover the kitchen island with newspaper and do it there. It will be my gardening 'fix' :chuckle:

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Guilty. You've made me feel so guilty cause I have TWO of these plants that I need to get at and turn into about 7 or 8 smaller plants........ohhhhhhhh the weight of guilt on my shoulders ;) ;)

Ronni likes this.