My Saturday Adventure!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Leaving shortly to embark on my adventure for the month....zip lining and aerial trekking!!

There's a place about half an hour from me called Adventure Works. We'll aerial trek first because it's the most strenuous and then do the zip lining next which takes a lot less effort. A 4 - 5 hour evolution in all!

Aerial Trekking is a fun challenge high in the trees! Walk, climb and swing across a series of cables, ropes and logs that take you progressively higher into the treetops. Aerial Trekking requires moderate to strenuous physical exertion and is not for the faint of heart! At its highest point the course is about 60 feet off the ground.

adventureworks.com/aerial-trekking/index.html

I am, at this moment, wondering WHAT THEE HELL I was thinking signing up for this!!! I am NOT a fan of heights!!! [​IMG]

There's a gang of us going.....a bunch of folks from my dance studio, and then my son Grayson....I tried to get the other kids involved but they had other stuff going on. Cameron and his girlfriend are attending the Color Run 5K with me later in May though, so that's at least something. Grayson is SO excited to do this, even while he's wondering if he's actually going to be able to stay the course. He's gained a fair bit of weight since being in recovery, and he's somewhat out of shape. At this point I'm more physically fit than he is even though he's 30+ years younger! [​IMG]

Anyway, I'll take pictures as I can, I'm sure there are going to be photos ops along the way. Cross your fingers for me y'all. I really DON'T want to fall out of a tree or anything! :eek: <gulp>

2. Loading...

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Omg! Brilliant, crazy, amazing, scary. What a rush! How did it go???

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I haven't left yet!!! <gulp!> Where's the back door? How do I get out of this? What was I thinking?????

:eek::crying::confused::(

(I'm gonna be OK....I hope!)

5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Of course you are, you crrrrrrazy person. Hehehehehe. Braver than me. Can't wait to hear all about it. Good luck.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd have chickened out by now and would be somewhere that no-one could find me - either that or I'd have been carried off on a stretcher :setf_017::setf_048: I dying to hear how you got on and if you enjoyed your death defying adventure.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You are braver that I am Ronni, so I will live vicariously through you. Let us know how it all turns out!

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

My friends started calling me Jane (of the "Me Tarzan, you Jane" fame!) So this is Jane....checking in! [​IMG]

We had SO MUCH FUN!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I thought I was going to die numerous times there at the start!!!! [​IMG] but that eventually passed and I was able to just be in the moment and thoroughly enjoy the entire experience. We did the aerial trekking first, and then took a quick break before the zip lining. Smart, the aerial trekking was very challenging physically (not to mention emotionally....it was freaky and scary and all the rest!!) but the zip lining much less so.

Anyway, I'm in the process of dumping the photos from my phone onto my computer as I type this, so as soon as I've gotten them organized I'll post them here! Just wanted y'all to know that I'm still alive! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    EJ, 102christa, 2ofus and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Looking forward to this, Ronni.

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK here's everyone that went. My son Grayson and I are on the far RH side, and then a closeup of the Dynamic Duo. ;) They started calling me Jane, and Grayson Tarzan...he was the youngest amongst us old farts, and did all manner of athletic things that we could only dream of!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's me freaking out a little at my first real challenge....the starter ones before this were much closer to the ground!
    [​IMG]

And having finished that, I moved on.
    [​IMG]

..........on on even further as I started to gain confidence!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grayson being a daredevil!
    [​IMG]

Me having just finished the log challenge, and Grayson just beginning it.
    [​IMG]

Each one of those swing looking things are just that....each independent swings that really do swing and sway madly when you step on them!!!! It took me about 7 minutes to navigate and get across this divide.....took Grayson about 90 seconds!!
    [​IMG]

And a couple of fun ones....
    This is a huge tunnel thing suspended 60+ feet above the ground that you get to crawl through. Doesn't sound very challenging.....but I can assure you it is! There's a weird sense of vertigo that seems to happen to everyone when you get in there. Any movement causes it to swing and sway and whether you keep your eyes closed OR look at the light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a weird feeling!
    [​IMG]

And here's me, suspended way high, and I decided to stop in the middle of the line I was walking and take a pic of my shadow because it looked so cool! ;)
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of zip lining images too, but I'll do them in another post. Also some video which I have to figure out how to post......may need some technical help with that one!

Guys, it was SO MUCH FUN!!! Seriously. If you're up for the physical challenge, it really is an amazing experience. The more I did the more energized I felt, and the more emboldened! Can't wait to go again!!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    102christa and eileen like this.
  11. eileen

Arrgh even looking at what you were doing is making me feel light headed and sick!! :dizzy: :smt078:smt101There's no way you'd get me to do that!! :smt119 :setc_063: Ronni you are now my official hero and the bravest woman I know. :setc_029:

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

eileen likes this.
  13. eileen

Mmmm Ok that doesn't look quite as bad as the aerial trekking but you still wouldn't see me for dust if you suggested I try it. I am an abject coward and can't deny it. :sulk:

14. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

That looks like so much fun. I am envious. Two years ago I got the opportunity to zip line with my kids in North Carolina. I was excited and all harnessed up. Unfortunately, as soon as I let go for the first zip vertigo came on. So here I am zipping through the tree line, bouncing and turning while suffering through an attack of vertigo. Needless to say, it wasn't the fun time that I was hoping for.

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

It seriously was SO much fun!!

Paying for it today though.....my muscles are SCREAMING!!! So funny really, they're hurting in places you wouldn't even think about, wouldn't connect with what I was doing.....my triceps are really sore, abdominals are yelling at me every time I put my arms over my head (like when I went to wash my hair....ow!) and there's a set of muscles low down in my back, sort of running across above my butt somewhere, that is very tender too...to name a few.

But I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. [​IMG]

On the way, we noticed a place where you can rent canoes. Grayson and I decided that we're doing that too, pretty soon. He says he's fished not too far from where we saw them, and he loves to fish, so we think we can canoe to the fishing place. That'd be cool!

I'm looking forward to my whitewater rafting adventure in June with my Atlanta friends. And I've also added parasailing to my list!! After flying through the trees zip lining, now I want to sail through the sky!

16. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm glad that you had so much fun but have to admit I'd rather read about your adventures and view your videos while my feet are firmly on Mother Earth!
    I admire you for your bravery and enthusiasm! :like: