My schefflera is drooping a little

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Kinza Hasan, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kinza Hasan

Kinza Hasan New Seed

Well... I think it's a schefflera! Anyway - one of the stalks is drooping, and it seems quite random. I have two of these plants. The first plant is fine, with very strong stalks. The second plant (in the picture) has two strong stalks, but one very very weak one that has systematically drooped even more.

What's odd is that i've treated both plants exactly the same, but this ONE stalk (out of 6 stalks on two plants) is having such a hard time living.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    Kinza

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Kinza, I do not believe that your plant is a Schefflera . Schefflera's have a palmate leaf structure. I do not know what sort you have, so it is difficult to say why some stems are limp and others are not at this stage.

There are a couple of men and women on here that are particularly good at plant identification. Once we know what the plant is, then perhaps we can have a better idea of what's going on.

4. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hi Kinza, I agree with Sjoerd that your plant doesn't really look like a Schefflera to me.

Actually, my first impression was that it looks a plant which I know by the common name "Grape Ivy" (that common name is applied to several species in the Cissus family - and maybe yours is Cissus rhombifolia, tho' I'm not certain). I can't tell from your pic, but does the foliage have a very fine "hairy" texture?

As far as that drooping stem - as the common name "Grape Ivy" implies, these plants do tend to have have a trailing behavior which might explain what is happening with that stem, and the others may eventually follow that trailing growth pattern - in fact, most of the more mature Grape Ivy plants that I've seen are grown as beautiful, lush hanging basket plants - otherwise, and if a more vertical appearance is desired, then a trellis of some kind would probably be necessary to provide support.

***Editing to add a link to an entry for Cissus rhombifolia in the Garden Stew Plant Database:
    http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/506086

Hope that's helpful, there are two photos at the bottom of that page, one of the foliage for comparison, and one showing the larger plant in a hanging basket.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Looks like an 'Olympia' false Aralia. (First named Aralia, then Dizygotheca, then Schefflera, now in Plerandra. Plerandra elegantissima.)
    http://www.costafarms.com/plants/false-aralia

A droop can be from simple thirst, or from roots that have rotted from being moist w/o any oxygen (overwatering.)

Needs a chunky/porous/airy soil that can stay moist while it has plenty of air in it. Only a cactus likes to really dry out. Other plants cope to varying degrees, in various ways. When using a soil that can cause roots to rot, drying can be a necessary coping mechanism. When there is only moisture, roots can suffocate and rot (overwatering.) When there is only air, roots shrivel and die. When moisture & oxygen are present @ the same time, roots can function normally. If that is consistent, plants can be their most healthy.

zuzu's petals likes this.

Advertisement
  6. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

OOOoo, :nerdy: yep, that sure does look like it is what Kinza has, good eye purpleinopp, I think you nailed it. :like: And that older designation of Schefflera would help to explain the ID confusion.

I hadn't ever seen that one before, as far as I can recall - nice - I lovvve learning about a "new" plant ... well, new to me, anyway. :smt042

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. purpleinopp

Happy to share a suggestion. I remembered I put a pic I took of mine soon after I got it (got plant in 2012 or 2013 but pic was uploaded last year) but haven't added pics since because it's been group-planted with other plants and can't be photographed alone.
    http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/9001116

8. Kinza Hasan

Kinza Hasan New Seed

Wow so confusing - but you all are so incredibly helpful!

@zuzu'spetals - it doesn't have any fuzz on it! but yes it seems @purpleinopp is right. Unfortunately I'm traveling out of the country right now and I have someone looking over my plants (and cat)! When I get back, I'm going to look into repotting these guys in soil that is more porous. I may have over watered it but I only added water once it was a bit on the dry side. I'm new to the houseplant game and I'm realizing slowly that the soil matters so much, just like pretty much everything else o_O. So much to learn

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I agree that it isn't a schefflera, but the stem in question is totally dead. Maybe there was some botrytis attacking the stem and that stem died off. spray the other stems with peroxide until they are soaked. It wont hurt the roots with whatever runs off, either.

10. purpleinopp

How are things going with your plant now?

11. purpleinopp

Mine have really enjoyed being outside this summer.
    2016-08-13 047.JPG 2016-07-23 033.JPG