My seasonal hobby.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Silkie, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

I saw other's sharing their non-gardening hobbies and thought I'd share mine!:)
    I don't knit in warm weather, too many other fun things to do, but there is nothing more relaxing for me in the cold winter than cuddling up with a hot cuppa, an audio book and my needles.
    laceknitting.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
    Frank, Philip Nulty, eileen and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. toni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Lillium_Lover
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You certainly make the cold weather time a good time to make lovely knitted items!
    I used to knit, but the "window of opportunity" here in Texas, aka cold weather, is so short that I haven't knitted for several years.

Philip Nulty and Silkie like this.
  4. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Beautiful knitting work!!
    my granny used to do that and I always found it amazing and interesting.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh. yea!!, another knitter. Love the colors and the designs of those. I have a few standard patterns that are really quick and easy to do so I can get more done.

I knit year round....winter and summer. The heat of Texas summers isn't kind to me so my gardening is done mainly from October until late May, then I hibernate for 4 months and knit. Most of my knitting is hats, scarves and ponchos that I take to the women's shelter thrift store and they deliver them to the home.

Philip Nulty, Silkie and DeepWoods like this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those patterns are lovely Silkie. I used to knit for my children when they were young but don't do much nowadays. My mother was a great one for knitting and would make hats, scarves and even toys to hand into her church to be distributed to whomever needed them.

7. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Ah, thank you for the kind words!:) I really admire those who knit for charity, knowing the time and care that goes into knitting! I hope to donate a few things this winter as well. It'll be the first time, as after all that work I tend to get attached to them, lol.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Years ago I knitted mittens for a "between" class--mostly economically deprived children that had been through kindergarten but weren't quite ready for first grade. After the first year I learned to make all the mittens the same color. Children manage to lose one mitten with great regularity, and if they were all the same color the child could still have a pair of mittens by adding one of the "extras". I got so good at it that I could turn out a pair of mittens in an evening!
    Silkie, if you do donate a few warm knitted items to those who are in need, the warmth will be spread from the donee to the donor. You never know how far your kindness and knitting skills can go . . . .

9. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Aw, how cool.:) I hope my knitting speeds up a bit! This will be the third year I knit but with the summer pause, it's been more like a year.
    I haven't graduated mittens or socks yet, it's mostly scarves and hat. Even so, I'm sure those would be appreciated as well. I'm looking forward to donating this year! Do you have any suggestions on where I could give them? I live in a very rural area. We don't have a homeless shelter or anything of that ilk that I know of...

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Silkie, when I knitted mittens, I first contacted the local school district, and yes, they had a need. If there is a local church that feeds/provides for the underprivileged, that would also be an outlet for your knitted donations. If all else fails, ask the local police/state police if they could take a few items along in their vehicles, and perhaps distribute them where they see the need.
    Scarves and hats, knitted by someone who cares, gives warmth and hope to folks that may not have much of either.

DeepWoods, Philip Nulty and Silkie like this.
  11. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Solid suggestions, thank you!:)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

https://www.projectlinus.org/volunteer/volunteer.php?StateKey=KY#tgt

Project Linus collects afghans/blankets of many sizes..... quilted, sewn, knitted, crocheted for kids age newborn to 18 who are seriously ill or traumatized. The link above is for the list Kentucky chapters. They must be homemade....there is a lot of love in things that are handmade that the kids will feel and help them through their experiences.

Silkie likes this.
  13. Silkie

Silkie New Seed

Thank you! I'll check it out.:)

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Beautiful...I have had quite a few people say they would teach me to knit and crochet and I could never get the hang of it and I would never post a picture of how mine turned out...they were in the garbage. I gave up trying and just buy the scarves we have. I can't blame you, I wouldn't work on things in the warmer months when there are so many other things to do.

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Gorgeous scarves particularly the leaf pattern. Beautiful!

I knit and crochet but now I tend to use the heavier thicker wool so the projects go fast. Am always on the lookout for easy peasy patterns that work up quickly too.