My Second Attempt at Toms in This Mini-Farm.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Jun 25, 2016.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

My first attempt at toms here was quite awhile ago and it was in containers. This time I'm doing it in the ground. I got the seeds from the fruits in a exhibition which the exhibitor do not know the name or is it a hybrid or heirloom. We were offered fruits to taste and I got the seeds from there. It tasted good so I decided to plant it. There are two varieties and both the seedlings are already more than 4 weeks old. The seedlings are small and feels like they refuse to grow any further. So yesterday evening I decided to transfer them into the bed.

Oh ya they are cherry type and dark brown in colour.

20160625_074316.jpg

In the photo there are 3 rows of the seedlings. This photo was taken this morning. The first row the seedlings were rather tiny, even after more than 4 weeks with 5 true leaves. They were planted in 7oz disposable cups.

The middle row is insurance and is the same variety as the third row. They are larger and is about 3~4 inches. They were planted lying down and this morning they look real good.

They are all planted about a foot apart and the insurance will be removed if all the plants in the bottom row grow well.

Now the long wait begins ...

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good luck with this, mate!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Also wishing your Toms "good growing" KK! Keep us updated :stew2:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yay! KK has tomatoes started. I hope they do well. they look good so far. I am not sure how big those particular ones will get but most of mine are huge plants and I give them about 2' between plants and cage them with tall cages. You may want to get tall stakes (if you can get them in the ground) or an arbor type structure for the tomatoes to vine over.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Sjoerd.

Thanks Frank, I will.

Thanks Carolyn, so far from my experience I never had one that is more than 3 feet tall. So far I think I had planted tomatoes 2 times. Looking back at my garden photos, my first attempt was in my old mini-farm in 2012 and it looked miserable. Then in 2014 was here in this mini-farm and comparing the photos and from memories it was a great improvement with lots of know how taken from posting here in Garden Stew especially from Sjoerd ... Thank You :) .
    Maybe it is the weather here so I don't think they'll be very tall. Anyway this time I'll be using string trellis and it is about 6 feet tall. Keeping my fingers crossed they would be able to reach it. :fingerscrossed:

Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That just amazes me that they aren't any taller than that. tomatoes are a tropical plant... they should flourish there in that heat. I planted one greenhouse up in tomatoes and cucumbers this year and put them on strings... we will see how they do this way for me. I have heard many people say it works much better and the plants are more productive... I hope yours do as well. Maybe you can pm me your address and I will tape a few seeds to a birthday card for you... anything I have down in my seed stock...big toms, little toms, dwarf toms..yellow, green, red, orange or pink.....whatever is there....happy birthday KK! (whenever it is... anytime is a great time for a birthday card).

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Look good !! Just remember to fertilize well, water deeply, roots only.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I reckon that how tall your toms get is directly related to the precise type of tom you try to grow. I do not doubt though that the weather there may well be a factor. I wonder if you can get a reasonable choice of seeds from Oz or perhaps New Zeeland.
    Thanks for the compliment. Than was a nice thing to say.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

KK,..good luck with the Toms,..i hope the plants start reaching towards the sky soon for you:like:

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Carolyn, thanks for the birthday greeting :), our tomatoes are only grown in the highlands where the temperatures are cooler. I have asked some farmers in the lowland why don't grow tomatoes and they said that there are too much problems. I guess it is just the home gardeners that grew it in the lowlands like me ... stubborn! hehe!!!

I will Mart, just got myself a new pack of Humus Fertilizer N8,P8,K8 plus Te2 and MGO3. I bought it because it looks delicious :D

Sjoerd we have no idea where the seeds here came from, I think mainly from Taiwan. They are imported in bulk and repacked by a few seed companies locally. The last time I checked for tomatoes seeds, only one hybrid variety is available. If I want seeds from Oz or New Zealand I'll have to get someone to send them to me.

Thanks Philip, I'll be happy if it can get to the middle height of the trellis.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for the link, will look into it.